No announcement yet.

Tips on taking cuttings!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've grown clematis from cuttings, but I can't remember the method. Something about cutting between 2 pairs of leaves.............

Comment

Thank you VC - I cut lots of cuttings from my various clematis plants a couple of days ago, and I've put them all into pots of compost - apparently that should have the best results. I had cut them in between leaf nodes, so I suppose I've done it right so far then Thank you!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Never trust my memory, Sarriss, it plays tricks sometimes.

Comment

I am dreadful for taking cuttings and sticking them in pots of compost out of the way. Only thing is I never know where to put them when they take Even newly bought plants

I haven't succeeded with dahlia cuttings, I have to split the tubers instead but gives the desired result all the same.

Edit: I strip and stick probably two thirds of cuttings below soil as I don't want to worry about where they root from.
          Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 13-04-2019, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
            I haven't succeeded with dahlia cuttings, I have to split the tubers instead but gives the desired result all the same..
            Hmm, I know it works but I wanted 100s off one plant I see loads of others get it to work - I'm so disappointed. I zoomed in with my new phone gadget...
            Maggots in my cuttings - yuk!

Click image for larger version

Name:	733DB8BD-1ECA-4DBC-9FAC-7E2F3EEB6F25.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2383058
            Last edited by Scarlet; 13-04-2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Fungus gnats?

Comment

I think so...but haven't seen any flying? They are in the GH. Will have another look later.

Comment

To be honest - I'm so frustrated that it's not worked for me. I've been dreaming of a garden overflowing with dahlias

# I have about 50 to plant out ( and I'm a bit like NG, buy a plant and I've nowhere for it to go) - the ones I have were mostly from division. I won't be lacking but it would be nice to have hundreds
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 13-04-2019, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Fungus gnats would explain the cuttings failure though. I had them last year and they wiped out a whole load of my begonia and pelargonium cuttings, frustrated the life out of me. I tried all sorts to get rid of them and in the end the only think that worked for me was putting a layer of grit over every bit of compost in the building. I then found it a nightmare trying to figure out if any plants needed water. I also banned the wife from buying any supermarket plants as on a visit to mozzas they were all over their plants.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdood View Post
                      Fungus gnats would explain the cuttings failure though.
                      Yes - I have them on several pots .....it's
                      actually pleased me a bit. Something I can work on. I will try isolating a plant in GH2 ( nothing in there at the moment. It's all prepared for my toms!) And have another go.
                      Just put up lots of fly tape too.

Comment

I've just taken 4 cuttings, I haven't got that many suitable ones left to take

They are in the house sat on a heat mat.
                        All 4 cuttings were gently pulled off the plant - no knife.
                        Each were dipped in rooting powder.
                        Put in pots with a 50/50mix of fresh compost and perlite.
                        Let's see how I do.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdood View Post
                          Fungus gnats would explain the cuttings failure though
                          Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          Yes - I have them on several pots .....it's
                          actually pleased me a bit. Something I can work on. I will try isolating a plant in GH2 ( nothing in there at the moment.
                          Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          I've just taken 4 cuttings, I haven't got that many suitable ones left to take

They are in the house sat on a heat mat.
                          All 4 cuttings were gently pulled off the plant - no knife.
                          Just a week and these new cuttings have taken beautifully. Amazing how much damage those grubs have done.
                          Ah, well. I'll be ready for another go next year

Comment

Excellent. Yep fungus gnats are not great for plants in general but fatal for cuttings definitely on my s**t list.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Never trust my memory, Sarriss, it plays tricks sometimes.
                              Especially about you age
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X