Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Germinating meconopsis betonicifolia seeds - will they won't they ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germinating meconopsis betonicifolia seeds - will they won't they ?

Off and on when I've come across seeds of this blue poppy I've bought a packet and tried germinating them, with a complete lack of success.

Last year I saw plants for sale on a website, and as the price was not too high, I bought one with a view to growing seed, which I would then know to be fresh. I got 3 seed heads from it and stuck them in the bottom drawer of the fridge last Summer in an envelope in a plastic bag.

Anyway today I took those seeds out and scatted them on the surface of some MP compost in a small tray, watered it and put it in a clear polythene bag. This lot is now sitting on top of a shed roof. weighted down with a couple of stones.

So what's the betting folks, am I going to enjoy any more success this time ?

I am positive you'll get some germinating
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

A couple of old threads for you
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ppy_77935.html

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ppy_95595.html

Comment

Thanks for that VC - I'll report back later in the year - one way or the other :-)

Comment

Thanks Nick.
          I've tried to grow them too but it was a bit halfheartedly so its no wonder they didn't oblige.
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 19-01-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I tried last year, diabolical germination rate. They all died.

Trying again this year. Sowing next week. I might need some experienced advice.

Should I keep them indoors to germinate?

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

No sure Dynamite, but had some self sow in my last garden here in Edinburgh, so cold and wet must have suited them!
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                I tried last year, diabolical germination rate. They all died.

Trying again this year. Sowing next week. I might need some experienced advice.

Should I keep them indoors to germinate?

Kind Regards.............Rob
                Hi Dynamite,
                If you want some advice form someone with a record of failure, then I'd say that outside is what I'm going for, but I have read a number of people who say try them inside first then try cold treatment later if that doesn't work.

The one point everyone seems to agree on is to be careful of slugs - so I'm going to keep mine well up off the ground.

As you probably gathered I've decided that fresh seed may be the key to this hence opting to buy a plant and trying t o grow from my own saved seed.

Nick

Comment

Checked my blue poppy seeds today and they've come up like mustard and cress - must be at least 100 little seedlings - now I've got the good problem of pricking them out to grow on :-)

I wonder how many seed sowing failures are down to the seed not being fresh enough ? Certainly its not a cheap exercise with some ornamental seeds being over £2.50 a packet.

Comment

Well done, I’ve tried but never managed it.
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                      Well done, I’ve tried but never managed it.
                      Thanks - can't claim much credit, as I said I reckon its the fresh seed which makes all the difference.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X