Annual lupin
    Nicotiana
    Bells of Ireland
    Echinacea
    Rudbeckia - goldsturn
    Globe artichoke
    NGs Clary
    Calendula - NGs Snow something

Sadly my giant yellow scabious has been hit with frost.
    Scarlet - would you say it is worth growing globe artichoke from seed? I had seen it suggested that it would be better to buy as plants. Saw that Marshalls have green and purple artichoke seeds on sale at 99p a packet and was tempted.

Sc

Comment

I think they can be hit and miss...probably best to take a cutting from someone's veg plot. But I'm growing mine for the flower border, so I'm not that bothered ...but my seed sown ones that I did several year ago were ok.

Comment

I've heard a cutting (from a known good plant) is best if you want edible artichokes. If its for ornamental value it doesn't matter.

Comment

Just some sweet William today.

Comment

Sown
            Petunia colourama
            Nasturtium Tom Thumb
            Godetia dwarf mix
            Alyssum carpet of snow
            Marigold French dwarf
            Lobelia sapphire

Comment

Alyssum Carpet of Snow really lives up to its name. Self seeds like mad and its dead foliage is straw-like and gives the soil a toasty blanket over winter.

Orange/yellow calendula, Cosmos 'Polidor Mixed', Dahlia 'Bishop's Children' and Rudbeckia 'Gloriosa Daisies'.

That's most of the flower sowing done for this year apart from poppies and cornflowers direct into the ground a bit later.

Comment

I grew globe artichokes from seed, and they're huge now. They need space though, so planted them here instead of on the London balcony and one that was tucked in a side bed where runner beans and Asian chives grow is much smaller. Still flowers though!

Eating them is more trouble than it's worth, I found. Much better left pretty.

I've got asparagus seeds too so fingers crossed on them too.

Comment

Purple lotus nymphaea, in a bowl with soil and water an inch above. In the sun porch. Wondering if I should move it into a warmer room at night since it's a hotter clime thing.

But then some say the difference in temp is good too. Choices, choices!

Comment

Never been on this thread, don't know why, just seemed to miss it
                    Seeds sown
                    4 different verities of French marigold
                    2 dwarf African marigold, Inca gold and an orange one
                    Lupin Russell hybrids
                    Lupin mini gallery
                    Lobilia cascading mix
                    Lobilia blue sapphire
                    Begonia trailing
                    4 different varieties of petunias
                    4 different varieties of wave petunias
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Not sown many flowers only Nasturtium, sweet peas and marigolds. All the other flowers in the garden self seed.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I thought nasturtiums self-seeded? Poor man's capers? I bought some seeds because I wanted to see if companion planting really worked, but I thought it was something that came up year after year. I always have a preference for those over annuals.

Comment

Plants will only self seed if they're left to set seed in situ. Lots of people dead head or pull out plants that no longer look "pretty".
                          Nasturtiums will self seed but its not a given!

Comment

Originally posted by jdlondon View Post
                            I thought nasturtiums self-seeded? Poor man's capers? I bought some seeds because I wanted to see if companion planting really worked, but I thought it was something that came up year after year. I always have a preference for those over annuals.
                            They self seed all over my veg beds I only really move them if they're in the way, i found this packet in my seeds box so thought I might as well sow them. More the merrier
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Sown some more sunflowers.
                              Had poor germination from the first lot.

Comment

Flower seed sowing

We seem to have a thread for veg sowing, but not for fleurs, so today I have sown some Calendula, part of my helping the bees by having more flowers in what was once a bit of a dessert as far as pollen went, I was a bit like Huge Fearlessly eatsitall and grubbed out anything that wasn't edible.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X