Poor hen

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done lottie...really well done

Lets hope she steadily improves from now on....
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

had her out for aprox 20 mins supervised free range,no greens were wanted,only had a little foot scratch and pecking at the soil,i am sure i have to keep her from so much sunlight,as i not want a repete of the egg sinario,not good for her,so she on rest and darker aka,towel over the box,outside in the air,i feel sure it was the olive oil that has helped,so much perkier in dribs and drabs,head responds to sounds like her mates making a racket,then back to hunched up and eyes closed,thankyou girls for your support,if there is anything else you think i can do,then please say,she got accsess to water added ASV,chick crumbs with a little crushed egg shell for calcium,and grit,and the vent is no longer prolapsed,only the gleet hopefull clearing up,not out the woods yet.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Sounding more hopeful, Lottie. Well done with the nursing care.

Comment

I was up really late last night couldn't sleep and reading through this thread...

I know less than nothing about chickens however huge animal lover so I was anxious to read on today and see how she was...i'm keeping everything crossed for you both!

Only thing i could add was I do remember we had birds - various kinds - when I was growing up and one of them was continually becoming egg bound, my mum had take her to vet and we did get her home after and she was fine but unfortunately I was too young to try and tell you what they did to help so even if calling them for some additional advice if need be

However it sounds like you are doing absolutely everything you can...well done

Comment

The GOOD news is,i left her in with the others all night,on a roost check up,there they all were in a line up,this morning all is as usuall,she even tries to escape me,at vent inspection time,i got 4 eggs,recone 1 was from madom,a faint streak of bood on it,and a whoper at that,as a 5th hen looks like it might need some help later on,got to catch it first,is very lively,they all got stuck into some pellets soaked in codliver oil before bed time,however she is still weeping a bit,am thinking off removing the speckeldy,as i cought her red handed,pulled 2 feathers out the bluebell and made her squeek,then she ate them,she is also the only 1 with ALL her feathers,deary me,they are so like ruddy kids,MR is now happier his girl is better,i also feel more in control off the little egg laying rebbles,thanks again for the support given.
            pic of said egg,another and my hand for size
            Attached Files
            Last edited by lottie dolly; 24-04-2018, 11:09 AM.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

That is one whopper egg! Bet she was glad when that was out...

Brilliant nursing care, by the way. Glad things are looking more positive.

Comment

Ouch ouch ouch!!!

What does it weigh????

* wonders if it's a double...or even a triple yolker??????( piccie if it is please!!,)

Always a relief to hear good chook news

Comment

Just for you Nicos
                  the 1st pic is the normal size egg,just for camparison,weighs,i wonder if it's because i stoped her from laying,by keeping her in the paler light,just until she healed up,
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow!...huuuge egg!...ouch again!

Always wonderful to have a double yolker...but not when mommy clearly struggled with it!

You are clearly doing wonders with her....lucky chook x
                    Last edited by Nicos; 24-04-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Just a thought...is she getting on a bit?
                      My light Sussex laid less often as she aged , but threw off double yolkers again , as she did when she first started laying.
                      Hers were up to 110g too...ouch!

Comment

HI Nicos just seen this,she was got as POL this time last year,so along with the other 4 have not quite got to 1 year of egg laying,she looks really uncared for,but lively as the others now,when i put bits of grass through the wire,she is so quick with that beak hehe,will not be left out.
                        I have another hen looks the same as she did at the vent,but certainly anything but remotly poorly,i am now wondering if it's she who layed that big egg and not the 1 that was ill,only because,she was in the nest box when i got 3 eggs out,so left her,went back over an hour later,she still in there,and the same color egg with blood streaks again,so i need to do some further investigating work,i need to know,which 1 of the hens it belongs to,so it's vent inspections,and get said hen into my investingation area,i need to get the bottom of things,pardon the pun hehe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X