Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping girls cosy in freezing temperatures.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the years Ive got to expect an egg by Valentine's Day any earlier is a bonus.
    Personally I would just stick them on the perch every night rather than worry about lights. It will become a habit, even if it's dark in there.

Comment

I've hung one of those little motion activated lights outside their coop. It stays on long enough for them to find their perch then cuts out. I also use it to light my way around the run!!

Something like this https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/superbrig...or-light-n98fy I have them all over the house - in cupboards, the garage, shed, porch etc. They're really useful.

Comment

Good idea VC!!

Comment

1 of my girls insists on going in the nest box,i shoo her off,then put her on the perch with the others,i always have a little light with me,out of the 5 birds,i am still getting 3 or 4 eggs every day,
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I've not seen any sign our birds are too cold even when we've had the odd week of consistently below zero weather and really quite a lot of snow. They've been as chirpy as normal; egg production is down slightly though improved when we upped the corn mix, and actually the eggs have gotten bigger on average over the winter so we get slightly fewer, much bigger eggs!

The only thing we had to do was pour some warm water in the drinking trough in the mornings as it was frozen solid! I figure if it's that chilly and they seem happy, they're doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

The only thing we had to do was pour some warm water in the drinking trough in the mornings as it was frozen solid! I figure if it's that chilly and they seem happy, they're doing well.
              Hot water will freeze faster - Less Oxygen. Best tip out old and top up with fresh if possible.
              Same idea as a bad cup of tea on second boiling of kettle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X