Chickens & asthma?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickens & asthma?

A work colleague today said she was put off getting chickens until her daughter is a bit older (she's 2 and a half) because the dust can cause asthma?
    I hope this isn't true as our daughter is 6 months and we have chickens coming!
    Anybody heard of this?
    Thank you - sorry for posting so many questions in a short space of time!

I'm afraid I have no idea on that, I have never heard of it but that doesn't mean she's not right, if in doubt check with your doctor
    www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Age has nothing to do with it Notmilk. Asthma is an alergy (I think) & my sister never suffered with it until she got to about 63!!! If your daught er was locked up in the shed with them it may be a problem, but as they & her will be outside I can't see that it will be any worse than pollen.

There are more dust mites in the average bed than there will be with the chooks.

Damn, shouldn't have said that, I'm starting ti itch now .....
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

I think the only answer is to wait and see. Don't over expose her to them as she may have a tolerance, but may end up being sensitive to them. Won't happen immediately though. If she is going to be allergic, then nothing will stop that, and then you may well have to get rid of the chooks.By not having chickens may deprive your daughter of a caring experience. She's only young, and you can easily replace the chooks with bunnies if the worst comes to the worst. I think she is more likely to be sensitive to the mites rather than the dust,and with good hygeine you can be mite free. Just enjoy the experience, and time will tell. you never know.....she may end up being ok with the chooks but has an albumin intolerance and can't eat eggs!!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Dust doesn't cause asthma but it can exacertate it (Spelling??) My son wheezed from the age of 12 months to approx 2 years old this was caused by an initial chest infection and every time he got a cold he would end up on an inhaler/nebuliser... dust / animals didn't affect him, however our Dr insisted we got rid of our cat to ensure it wasn't her causing the problem, which we now know is not the case. Kiran has now grown out of the it (he's 3) but I am very careful if he gets a chesty cold as he can still end up very wheezy...

Chickens shouldn't affect your daughter in the same way that most people aren't affected by cats/dogs/ dustmite (don;t start me itching!) but those that do have an allergy can end up with breathing difficulties until the source of the irritation is removed. We have chickens too & Kiran loves collecting the eggs etc - unless you know your daughter is allergic to them then don;t deprive her of their joy and lots of beautiful dunky dippy eggs!

Here endeth the lecture by Dr Sunbeam!
          How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

I have 3 children upto the age of nine. I have 2 cat & 1 dogs at home, and 3 horses and a very large amount of poultry on our holding. Our children have mixed with these animals from day one, and none of them are asthmatic.

Comment

Chickens have feathers (obviously!) rather than hair and I remember once reading that if you have allergies but would like a pet, go for a bird as feathers don't have the same effect. I don't know how true this is. I don't really snuggle into my hens so it's not a problem either way. The young lad next door is allergic to their cat but not the chickens.

Comment

Indoor chickens do generate a lot of dust, bits of dander, feed etc, which does benefit from a hoovering every now and then. My partner is chronic asthmatic, and has never had a problem. I must admit though it does sit on your chest if you are cleaning them (the indoor ones) out. Outside - no problem.

Loz
                With the Garden, Poultry, Horses, Ragdolls and a Bracco Italiano, no wonder I'm always grumpy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X