No announcement yet.

Are bark chippings ok for run?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How exciting!! Will you able to let them out in the garden or will they always be in a run? I ask because it can be an advantage to have 2 separate runs so that you can give one side a rest & good clean out while they're in the other one. Or, if, you have to keep the hens separated for some reason.
    Just something to think about if you're extending the run.

Comment

They would be able to pootle about in the garden when I am there. (Evenings, weekends, days off). I agree with you about an extra coop/run. Even a small one, then the coop could get a good clean/scrub when needed and aired over night. Also, if I ever wanted to add to my flock, use the other one till the new hens were ready to be integrated with the original ones. ........ Thank goodness Hubby doesn't use the computer!

Comment

4more sleeps........
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well, I think that's me as sorted as I can be. Coop and run AND extension fitted. Food, bedding, drinkers, feeders bought. Dog sitter arranged,house tidied and flowers, cake and wine bought for dog sitter. Dog cage adapted for chooks, and spare boxes, just in case, full tank of petrol. I think that,s it. Just got to get the last sleep.
          Wish me and the chooks good luck, not forgetting my lovely hubby, who has been fantastic.
          Hope to speak to you all soon.

Comment

Safe journey - and don't forget we need piccies.............and names

Comment

Bella, Beenie and Babs have landed safely. The weather wasn't too hot but thank goodness for the air con in the car. Beenie is the best feathered and seems to be the lookout, getting a wee bit anxious if the dogs get too close. (Hens in run, dogs on lead) but she is settling. Babs is a bit less feathered than Beenie and seems to be quieter, she just minds her own business. Bella is really quite baldy and red on her tummy, backside, neck and wings, in fact most of her!. Saying that she is pretty fiesty, pecking at the man at the rescue centre when he tried to catch her and me when I took her from the carrying cage to put her in the run. She also felt really skinny and her breastbone stuck out like a sharp stick. All girls are happily stuffing their faces and seem to be drinking plenty and just scratching about in their run. None of them have tried to go up the ramp to the coop yet. I have scattered food all the way up it and into the coop. No takers yet. I will just let them sort themselves out for another couple of hours then have to find a way to get them into it. It's going to be too cold for them in the run overnight, them having not many feathers. I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Good luck Beenie, I love chook tales
                Nannys make memories

Comment

Welcome home, Bella, Beenie and Babs Great to have you with us!!
                  I've been told that the bald ones come back into lay the soonest so, come on Bella, we're all rooting for you! Lots of good food and fresh air and she'll soon pick up. If you can't get them in tonight, perhaps you could throw a cover over the run to give them a bit of protection?

Comment

To try and help them in, I put a couple of bricks next to the ramp and threw more food over the bricks up the ramp and into the coop. No luck. It was getting quite dark and the coop was really dark inside. I thought they might be afraid of the dark/unknown, so I got a bright torch and put it in the coop. Then we had to take the dogs out, so the chooks were left for half an hour. Came back from dog walk, lo and behold three chooks going up and down the ramp and into the coop the back down the ramp the up to the coop. I was so relieved. I waited till they were totally settled in the coop. Then went out and closed the door. Night night girls.

Comment

I have one of those motion activated battery powered LED light thingies, hanging near the entrance to their coop. Summat like this JML Sensor Bright Motion-Activated Light | Robert Dyas but cheaper!

The chooks activate it and it gives them enough light to make their way in - and to do their knitting.

Comment

Thanks for that veggiechicken, I will definitely look at that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X