Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've taken the plunge!

Hi all,
    We're new to the forum; had a vague idea about keeping chickens one day, but after reading this forum we've decided to go for it!
    We've ordered a 2 storey hen house with a house above a run. We also ordered 3 bantams and associated feeders water container etc..
    We should be getting the delivery some time this week - we're so excited!
    Our garden is quite small and we already have a veg plot, water butt and 2 compost bins - hope the chooks like it!
    Our neighbours will think we're mad - but i'm sure a few eggs will win them over.
    When it's all in place i'll try post some pictures - wish us luck!
    Roger & Dawn

Good luck to you and the chooks!

Where did you get the hen house from (website link?).
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

We actually found a local poultry supplier through the adtrader this afternoon; phoned them to make sure they were open and drove up there (near crickhowel) about an hours drive.
      We only went to have a look, because we were going to get an eglu and just wanted to check out availability, prices etc.
      But we ended up buying the henhouse and 3 bantams for delivery later in the week!
      The henhouse is suitable for 6, so we could get more in future if we get into it. It's made of wood (more environmentally friendly than plastic), and because its 2 storey it takes up less space than the eglu + run. There is a nice big nesting box and plenty of perch space. The "ladder" down to the run is retractable for closing at night, and the sides come off for easy cleaning. All this and for cheaper than the eglu - cool!
      We paid £20 each for 3 female bantams - is this a good price? We didn't check any other suppliers so have no idea if this is a good price - we just couldn't wait!

Comment

If your happy with it, its the right price! You will always find someone that will tel you that they could have got it for les after the event. I used to get miffed about it but now I don't care. So long as I'm happy with the price.

Welcome to the vine Notmilk, Hope you enjoy looking here. Look forward to seeing the chookettes
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Hi Notmilk - sounds like you've got a lovely house for your girls, £20 is about average for POL depending on the breed. Have fun!
          www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Good luck Notmilk. Have thought about keeping chooks myself as we have plenty of space but don't know anything about keeping hens and we have foxes. All I remember about bantams is they lay very small eggs and as children we had a fight evey morning about whose turn it was to have Bunty's (the bantam) egg. Surprised my mother didn't kill us.Think I'll look at poultrychat sight and think about it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm so pleased for you! We have just had an eglu (2nd hand) but chose our own hens. Our sons have had the best day ever today bringing them home - worth every penny!
              Lets just hope we have some eggs soon - not that I'm too impatient!

Comment

Still no delivery :-( we want them now!
                Bantams just looked so small and cute - it'll be great seeing them interacting with our 2 cats (we hope).
                Thanks for all your comments and welcomes - we look forward to sharing our experiences over the coming weeks/months/years!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X