Will all breeds happily mix?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darwin. View Post
    Good news and bad news. I got 3 eggs so that's good.

I tried to introduce the chickens to each other and it didn't go at all well. Cornelius puffed up his neck feathers spread his wings and launched an attack. I have the two pens beside each other now so they can hear each other but not see each other. He keeps crowing and they're all shouting at each other. They're definitely not friends.
    They won't be friends and the next hens you get will also be attacked. There's safety in numbers so DO NOT get them one at a time. You risk having one of the hens injured!

Comment

I've postponed the ones I'm supposed to be getting tomorrow. I'll wait a few weeks until I have my full set up sorted and they can be kept in seperate parts of the run.

Comment

Originally posted by Teabag View Post
        I seen it on facebook. When you go to collect your chickens, it's something like

1+1=2
        2+3=6
        3+4=13

4+5= 17

After getting them you crave more and they end up multiplying. I only have 2 at the moment but I want at least another 4. You can never have too many chickens!

EDIT here it is https://blog.mypetchicken.com/2014/07/25/chicken-math/
        yes - ever heard of Morehens Disease ?

Comment

..and don't forget banties are only half a hen when it comes to the maths!!
          Last edited by Nicos; 18-02-2017, 08:30 AM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I skipped training today and when I got home from work I got some wood and chicken wire and built a small run for the new chickens. It's alongside the other run so they're all getting used to being around each other now but aren't able to get at each other, unless they can fit their heads through a layer of chicken wire and one of chain link wire.

I couldn't leave the poor new chickens (Tilly, Lottie and Dottie) stuck in their coop any longer. Now they have a little run about twice the size of the coop, they have access to clean fresh air, sunshine(ish) and grass to scratch and pick at. They're free range now but have a double layer of chicken wire over them so wild birds can't get in.

Comment

Are you enjoying listening to them nattering away to each other?

I love hearing them discussing that it's nearly bed time and whether to stay out a bit longer and who is going to sit next to whom on the perch and had anyone eaten anything interesting today and ...did you see the size of that worm I found...and gosh,,.wasn't that a cheeky sparrow trying to get in through the chicken wire...etc etc...

Yep....it's just delightful!
              Last edited by Nicos; 18-02-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I stood watching them for about half an hour, they sounded way way happier when they'd been outside for a while. I do enjoy watching them and listening to them, they're funny little things. The new girls seem pretty friendly too.

The first eggs were very pale, I'm hoping that pecking outside darkens them up a bit. I bought my first 20kg bag of pellets today too, it was only €9.00. I was expecting it to be a lot more expensive.

Comment

Brassica leaves should help them orange up....

Comment

All is peaceful today, they're looking at each other through the fence and chatting away. They start nattering at me when ever I go out and when I open the nest box to get the eggs they all ran over for a nosey. I think they're all in much better conditions now than they were used to.

Comment

Today is the test. I'm going to let them all in together after work if I have time, if not it'll be tomorrow.

I'll make a larger temporary run (still covered) put a coop each end and open the doors and if they want to mix they can. Surely after being neighbours and looking at each other for a few weeks they'll get on fine.

Comment

It worked perfectly, they're all best buddies now.

Comment

Brilliant news Darwin, worth persevering
                          Nannys make memories

Comment

Injured bird

We got our first two birds last month. One pearl leghorn, one copper black Maran. All was good for three weeks. Last week, noticed a bald patch on the back of the maran. We ordered anti pecking spray, still not arrived yet. But yesterday, the pecking got much worse and the leghorn really hurt her. She drew blood and got quite a big would across her back and side. Having looked up what to do, we have split them up. So sad to see. Lots of sudocream on her wound and see how she does. So upsetting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X