No announcement yet.

Table scraps.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 girls have carrot and parsnip tops, they're not fussed though. If we have corn on the cobs I give them the left overs to peck. I also buy reduced bags of salad mix now and again and give a handful every few days. More recently though I discovered they LOVE cabbage and kale so am buying that every week for them now and give a few leaves every other day.. but I also mix 2 handfuls of mixed corn, a small handful of grit and another small handful of mealworms in a bowl and they have that daily around half 3 when the little one comes home from school, they start squawking around 3 for it and come running when they hear me. I don't give them cooked stuff though, except the corn on the cobs.

edit: they are fed layers pellets with oyster shell mixed in and this is there all the time for them
    Last edited by Teabag; 28-02-2017, 12:01 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Lulu The Lurcher View Post
      So, if you feed them free range pellets do you still need to make them mash or give them grit?
      Pellets and mash are the same thing, just a different form. Your choice really.
      They need grit as well for digestion.

Comment

I think pellets and mash have grit incorporated. If you feed them mixed corn as a treat in the evening, you definately need to give grit so they can grind the corn in there gizzard and keep them warm through the night.
        It wouldn't hurt to give grit all the time, they will only take it if they want or need it. You can also give them oyster shell which has calcium to strengthen there egg shells, but once again, pellets or mash have it incorporated methinks.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

An update on this, after three weeks or so on pellets with crushed egg shells our Brahma layed her first egg on Monday. On a diet of bread and potato skins and with no access to a nest box, she never layed. Now she's in a nicer coop with other chickens, a good diet and loads of clean water, she's happier, healthier and laying.

Comment

Chickens like vegitation as well as corn. There are folks that will chit corn to get shoots and then feed that to the chickens, you get more bulk and a good variety of diet.
            If you walk dogs in fields after harvest you often see small spills of grain which if still dry stores well. Place a thin layer of grain on tissue paper in the bottom of a seed tray and keep moist/warm. 7-12 days later the 2" shoots can be torn off in big chunks (roots and all) and fed to the fowl. Start new seed trays every week etc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X