No announcement yet.

Eight little chicks............

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bantams... Wouldn't that be a bit like a poussin? (Coat ready already...)

Comment

Originally posted by Bal View Post
      I couldn't possibly dispatch a little chick. How soon can you sex them?
      If you've never had to sex birds before it can be tricky. Some peeps can't tell until they start crowing! If they are "mixed" breed it's even harder as you can't spot traits. I found light sussex works well for us but even though I "know" what to look out for we often get surprises ...though I haven't hatched any chicks for two years. Last year my cockeral was firing blanks and he's so calm and gentle I don't want to get rid of him just cos he's not up to the job .

Comment

Well done Fella:

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          If you've never had to sex birds before it can be tricky. Some peeps can't tell until they start crowing! If they are "mixed" breed it's even harder as you can't spot traits. I found light sussex works well for us but even though I "know" what to look out for we often get surprises ...though I haven't hatched any chicks for two years. Last year my cockeral was firing blanks and he's so calm and gentle I don't want to get rid of him just cos he's not up to the job .
          My cockerel is a sweetie but he's deffo up to the job with 100% hatch!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I need to change the thread title to EIGHT little chicks. She had them out in the run this evening and i managed to count them!
            When she saw me she shushed them back into the nest under her wing. When I added some some chick crumb to the run she darted back out and puffed herself up and growled at me!

I put some dandelion leaves in the run and the chicks were tugging them about. I took some of the pebbles out of the water tray to give them more of a chance to get a drink but hopefully still unable to drown themselves.

Of the eight, one is cream with a brown stripe ,one is wite with a black stripe up its back, one is black with a white backside, one is black with a white head, one is grey and the other three appear to be black.
            I didn't have my camera as i wasn't expecting them to be out but I'll try and ger a piccie tomorrow.
            Mother looks a bit like a bantam blackrock.
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Title changed to Eight! How fantastic and what a good Mum she is - fluffing herself up against you!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Title changed to Eight! How fantastic and what a good Mum she is - fluffing herself up against you!
                Cheers VC and I totally agree!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Congratulations!!! I reckon i'll have to try and get some eggs hatched next year... this is all too exciting to just read/watch and sit on the sidelines! My kids would love it!

Comment

Lovely news snadger
                    Northern England.

Comment

I'm confused Snadge... I thought eggs only came in 6 or 12, never seen 8

Cant wait to see pics!

Comment

Hehehe vix
                        Northern England.

Comment

8????...8????? ... Oh WOW!

Fantastic news Snadge....really chuffed for you
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

YAY, well done Snadge
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Bought a new water container for chicks tonight. Mum is still very camera shy and as soon as she sees me coming she jostles them back into the nestbox! I had a red jumper on and i wonder whether this was spooking her?

I managed to get one grainy piccie before they vanished into the nestbox tho!

And here's proud Dad! Notice the door catch for the broody coop...........a garden fork wedging the door shut!

Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just noticed the Sports Direct sign from next door! There's no getting away from Mike Ashley in these parts!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X