Battle of the Cockerels

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    If you are going to keep one it may be worth considering George. He's been top "dog" without showing too much aggression all this time., especially as your girls have so far been happy. Bertie is only just finding his feet and could prove the most aggressive.
    That sounds a good idea. To be honest George is the most handsome one. I must take some pics of them.
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Some pics would be lovely, and the girls might prefer if he is extra handsome
      I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Well guys the deed is done. Poor Bertie is no more. Will wait and see how George treats the hens. If all swell we should have harmony back in the hen house. Thanks again for all the great advice and support. OH manned up and did the deed in the end.

I never remember to take pictures sorry.
        Last edited by Bal; 14-02-2016, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Always sad...but the right move.
          Your gals will be so much happier now
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

For what it's worth I think you have done the right thing. It's such a shame that cockerals won't live happily together....fingers crossed for you that George works out, the cockeral that I have at the moment is a sweetie. You just never know how they will turn out.

Originally posted by Bal View Post
            OH manned up and did the deed in the end..
            That's good, it's an important part of keeping chickens. When we started hatching our own I had a very poorly chick (I helped it out of the shell ) for my OH to do the deed we all had to leave the house. It took him nearly an hour to do it it really was difficult.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 14-02-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Just a quick update guys. There is complete tranquility in the hen house now. They have even become friendlier and less scared than before. They would squawk like mad if I opened the nest box when they were in the coop. Now they just wait and look at me. They even let me take the eggs without running away. Ermintrude has already started to go broody. Luckily she is fairly easily persuaded to give up and go out and play with the others.

Comment

That is wonderful Bal, i am very happy for you, lets hope it gets even better in the summer months.

I would do the job if needed but would not like it xxxx
                I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X