No announcement yet.

Yolk colour and food?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TBH most of the brassicas I grow on the plot usually find there way to the chooks. Cauliflower leaves,sprout leaves and the miriad of kales and cabbage I grow.
    Fickle things my chooks, they love leeks but hate onions,they wont have anything to do with either carrots or carrot foiliage, lurve having peas flicked at them,don't like mooli or foliage. They like beetroot foiage but the yolks never go red or pink.

Mine also get a few handfulls of mixed corn each day along with layers pellets on demand. I search out dandelion and dock foliage which they love, and its also supposed to have worming affect.

All in all though I agree with Nicos and think its the brassica leaves that contribute to the yellowness of the yolks.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by janzbro View Post
      I am planning on growing swiss chard for them next year when I have my new beds in order

Do you just broadcast sow the seeds and do you stagger the time you sow it or just do it all at once?
      I find that in my garden, only the red and the white chard self seeds. So I start a few off each year to get the yellow and orange stemmed ones which look so lovely. I guess the red and the white must be the hardiest.
      I let them grow willy-nilly wherever they like in my flower beds to crowd out the weeds and simply pull one or two whole plants up in spring to make space when I want to plant something else.
      http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Muddled, in my garden I mostly get yellow!

Comment

so these self seed
          82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Muddled, in my garden I mostly get yellow!
            Oh! isn't that funny?
            I wonder if colours that thrive denote a specific soil type?
            When I grow sweetpeas the red ones always do so much better than any other colour...

Sorry Janzbro, yes. Chard does selfseed. The plant gets absolutely enormous first though...and then drops about ten squillion seeds far and wide.
            This is great in a sort of cottage garden environment, not so amusing where space is at a premium! The small baby plants are easy to pull up though and make a beautifully colourful 'fake pak choi' for stir fries!
            http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Muddled = Thanks
              Last edited by janzbro; 11-11-2015, 11:33 PM.
              82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X