Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today we picked up our 'new' ex-battery farm chickens!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today we picked up our 'new' ex-battery farm chickens!!!

So, we picked up our four ex-bats this afternoon. It was a very smooth process and apparently that one centre has rehoused nearly 5000 birds in their history.

We're now at home and the girls are settling in. There's a bit of pecking but nothing too serious and it's fascinating.

Two are well on their way to being oven ready due to the lack of feathers but the other two are in pretty good nick.

I've just let our four original girls out to have a look at them and they don't really seem that interested.

There should be a couple of pics attached. It was pretty busy at the collection point so didn't take any pics there.

Attached Files
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 12-09-2015, 05:23 PM.

Nice work Stan!!
    They don't look too bald. Are these the better ones?

Comment

I don't think they look too bad either. Good luck! I'm sure with your outside space you won't have a huge pecking problem. Fingers crossed

Comment

Well done Stan- I bet they can't believe their luck!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Those are the two with the fewest feathers. Yep - I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised by the other two in particular which only have a few very small patches with no feathers.

They do seem thoroughly bemused at pretty much everything! The wind blew earlier And all four of them jumped!!!

Thanks for your positive comments.

Comment

The morning after the night before and 3 of the 4 are stuffing themselves silly with the mashed up pellets. The fourth one is sitting quietly in the corner and seems quite passive. Will be keeping an eye on her as she seems pretty placid. She isn't being pecked a great deal so maybe has resigned herself to a place at the bottom of the order?

Comment

It's amazing the difference just 24hrs has made. Still a bit of pecking but things already to settle down by the looks of it. The new girls have all spent most of today eating solidly! I thought one of them was going to pop! Our original four have paid a bit more attention today and it's fascinating watching!

The biggest difference is their combs - they are already a better colour and standing up much more. It's great to see the difference. They went into the house easier tonight to and seemed a bit more at home!

Comment

It's great to hear they are getting on so well
                The best things in life are not things.

Comment

This has been brilliant to read Stan - how are they doing now? Are they laying?
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Yep - they're laying! None on day 1.

Four eggs on day two. One was a soft shell and the yolks in the others were more orange than an orange! The flavour wasn't great and the white was very pale/hinting of being a bit translucent when cooked.

One before i left on Monday, two today and not sure about yesterday as i didn't collect them!

Very impressive for some relocated, stressed out, pecking little critters! Bless them!

Comment

They are rewarding your kindness with fresh choockies! I know egg laying is what they are supposed to do but I was told that a stressed out hen can stop laying.
                      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Yep - I can't wait to let them out and about to have a proper run about and find lots of lovely grubs!

Comment

Just for you and your new girls.

Attached Files

Comment

So, last night i let the two groups mix for the first time... quite a lot of pecking and general hostility. Not great to witness but pleased that i can supervise them for 4 days whilst the integration happens as i'm off work at the moment!

Averaging more than 4 eggs per day from the 8 at the moment which was the hope.

Comment

That's great news Stan. Are you letting them sleep together now or just thrash it out during the day?

We are getting ours next Sunday, hopefully hen palace will be finished by then.

Please can we have some pics now that you have had them for a bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X