No announcement yet.

Massacre of male chicks??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish on a Friday was our treat We rarely had beef or lamb - you lot must be posh! We ate mostly game, rabbit and pheasant.

Comment

We ate a lot of rabbit and pigeon when I was a kid. And a lot of fish ans most of us were into fishing when we were kids. Fresh crab and lobster, limpets, winkles. Those were the days

paul

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        We rarely had beef or lamb - you lot must be posh!
        Hardly posh!! The lamb was a half shoulder (blade end) - one of the cheaper joints. I remember it well as it was my job as a kid to go to the butchers and buy it on a Saturday morning (with a pot of beef dripping and a shillings worth of neck bones for the "dog".
        If it was beef it was stewing beef or mince - rarely a joint, never steak.

Comment

Now fish is scarce and a luxury item, chicken is abundant and why? industrial methods of production. Its easy to say "Refuse to buy it" but most people cant afford the proper stuff. I remember the chickens we used to eat, my sister and I used to fight over picking the carcass, the taste was superb.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            Fish on a Friday was our treat We rarely had beef or lamb - you lot must be posh! We ate mostly game, rabbit and pheasant.
            In all fairness it didn't matter what my Mother cooked most of it was awful. My fav. meal was sausage stew (boiled onion, saus, spud nothing else) I think it was because she couldn't stuff it up. However fav. treat was seeing my Grandad (fisherman) on a Sat. and filling a bread bag with shrimp. He boiled them in that much salt they wouldn't be allowed today but they were fantastic
            Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 12-08-2015, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
              Now fish is scarce and a luxury item, chicken is abundant and why? industrial methods of production. Its easy to say "Refuse to buy it" but most people cant afford the proper stuff.
              But it's more complex than that, as a child most people I knew ate much less meat than now and more of it was cheap cut stuff or things that could be eaten over several days. If chickens were bought it was the whole bird which is still far cheaper than the joints. Some of it is driven by time (ie how much time you have to investigate, shop, prepare and cook) or knowledge of what to do / cook but some of it is also that a lot of people seem to have been brainwashed to believe that a meal should involve a huge pile of meat and little veggies (restaurants are also bad for this) which isn't particularly healthy, potentially very expensive and totally unsustainable. Personally I don't spend anymore now (when inflation is taken into account) than I did when I didn't think so much about what I bought, we don't eat anywhere as much meat but what we do is much tastier and not watery rubbish.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Oh and don't get me on to food waste, I find the reports of how much the average family throw away hard to believe but all surveys seem to point to this so I can only assume it's true.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

From what I've seen since living here, the French probably eat only half the meat portions the Brits do.
                  And the Americans probably have 2-3x what the Brits eat.
                  ( being rather general/sweeping statements there but you get my gist?)

I think if we all got our head around eating the max of 4oz ( 125g) of meat a day ( as recommended for non veggies) then our pockets would be better off, our health would be better, and hopefully animal welfare could improve if some of the savings we made were spent on better quality of care animal meat produce???

Might even encourage us to eat more veggie too!

Nope Alison- I shalln't get started on food waste either
                  Last edited by Nicos; 12-08-2015, 06:40 PM.
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Regarding waste, i have on several occasions been caught by my wife retrieving hairy cheese from the bin, scrape the hairs off and its as good as new. None of my family have any idea of using up the old food first, if I buy a loaf of bread, yesterdays bread I discarded like a shot, same with bannanas they all take the freshest ones leaving muggins to eat the spotty ones.
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I do enjoy meat and have it with meals around 4 times a week but not huge portions. Something I have notice over recent years is how the traditional cheaper cuts of meat are in some cases now amongst the most expensive. Not so long ago the butchers used to virtually give breast of lamb and lamb shanks away now it is trendy so expensive.

My nan ( or mum as she was responsible for my upbringing) like many others would make the Sunday roast last for two or three meals, something that rarely happens today.

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, how many can remember the bet thing about "left-overs" ............ bubble 'n squeak
                        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                          I do enjoy meat and have it with meals around 4 times a week but not huge portions. Something I have notice over recent years is how the traditional cheaper cuts of meat are in some cases now amongst the most expensive. Not so long ago the butchers used to virtually give breast of lamb and lamb shanks away now it is trendy so expensive.

My nan ( or mum as she was responsible for my upbringing) like many others would make the Sunday roast last for two or three meals, something that rarely happens today.
                          Same with oxtail (which I love) nowadays its silly expensive. But another meat i enjoy is a boiled ham hock and they are very cheap at our butchers. Boil it and eat it covered in vinegar with some bread and butter.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                            Ohhhhhhhhhhh, how many can remember the bet thing about "left-overs" ............ bubble 'n squeak
                            Had it last night.The previous days spuds, broccoli and cabbage served with gammon steak and egg. Lovely
                            Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X