No announcement yet.

Scabby heads

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning Maggie seemed a bit brighter but poor Tilly just didn't get up, I hand fed her some little scraps of bacon rind, which she ate, I know you aren't supposed to give them bacon but it can't do much harm now. The other two are absolutely fine.

Yes they are battery hens and I've had them nearly two years they have had a good and much loved life with me but it's awful to see them like this. I found a few mites, or something on Maggie so I dusted her and all of them and the mites did seem to vanish, I couldn't find any on the other three. I am sure that when they are unwell the mites are quickly to attack ):

And thank you both, it does help to share this.
    The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Tilly died yesterday ): while Maggie battles on, she is looking a bit brighter, I am dusting everything and everywhere I don't expect I've got rid of the depluming mites though.

Is it because they're exbatts or if you have hens is it just a constant battle with various types of mites?

Comment

Aww, sorry to hear that.
        I've have never seen a case of the Depluming mite, someone on here thought they had them but I remember thinking it was an over agressive cockeral. I read recently that cases are usually found on hens that were not 100%.
        Red mites - I get them. It's more a case of keeping up with the creosote (if I miss a year ) dusting, and just keeping an eye out for those early invaders.
        Lice - I've also had them. So, IMO mites are just part and parcel of keeping chickens. Having ex bats is no easy ride, they are worn out before you get them. Managing to keep them for two years after is really good going. Sometimes keepers only manage them for six months before they go.
        She had a good innings for an ex bat Verinda, you did everything you could and gave her a happy couple of years. They have to go eventually.Don't be too sad.

Comment

Thank you Scarlet, I am sad although it's comforting to know that they've had a bit of happiness with me. The other two, Milly and Alice are still well and dashing about so hopefully they'll be around for a while longer. I think I will probably go for a healthier breed next time although I did love caring for my exbatts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X