Soft shelled eggs in evening

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same problem with our Bluebelle!

Two thin / soft shelled eggs on the perch overnight fairly recently in recent weeks. All other birds laying well. Occasionally we are getting a proper egg from her and we are overrun with eggs as it is so i'm not too fussed but hoping she's ok!

Comment

My cream legbar has never laid an egg with a shell. Or should I say the only egg I have ever seen had no shell and no membrane, ie fried egg before frying. She bows to me as if fertile and visits the nest box. I never see traces of egg remaining in the nest box bedding. It's a mystery. She came to me as point of lay and it was many weeks before she behaved as if she was laying.

Comment

How very odd! I know it can be a bit hit or miss when they start laying and it can take some time for them to get the hang of it.

Comment

She is no more. I noticed when dusting with diatom one evening that she was incredibly heavy for her size, had a hugely swollen red belly and her feathers were standing up because of the swelling. She continued to eat and drink, but one day when I saw her lying under a bush looking exhausted I took her to the vet. She couldn't diagnose her, possible growth/something hard in there in the wrong place for an egg. On the basis that she wouldn't get better and was likely to be very uncomfortable and get worse I decided to go with the advice to PTS. It was a relief.

Comment

Oh, sorry to hear that. Maybe that was connected with her egg shell problem. Awful to see them suffering so sounds like you did the right thing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X