Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orpingtons as a good first bird with a young family?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchased!!!

We feed the other birds via feeders too so they'll be fine!

BB - would be good to see your feeding platform when you have time to get piccies!

Comment

Face view & normal contents

Side view

Dust bath below (note concrete blocks to keep the wood of soil)

Chooks

Attached Files
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Great. Thank you! That's got the old grey matter ticking...

Do they tend to walk up the ramp or jump / flap up onto the platform?

What breed are your two white ones?

Many thanks again. You are very generous with your time. It is much appreciated!

Comment

They mostly jump/flap onto the floor now, but it was used for a while when they were younger.

Leona (on the left black collar & tail feathers) is a Sussex, Dorean is a Bluebell (she looks whiter in the picture than in real life )

Thanks for the thanks Stan, it's entirely my pleasure
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Birds are very happy with their new feeder as am I. It holds a full bag of feed and i can keep another in the shed ready to stock it up. The decrease in feed eaten per day is massive too! Just goes to show how much other 'things' were eating!!!

I'm going to build a larger, purpose built house (or buy one eBay if one comes up) to house 6 birds but without a run as they are happily ensconced in their new run. And then buy two White Stars so we get some white eggs!

Comment

I really fancy one of these but my Columbian black tail probably weighs less than a rat! And what are the sparrows that hop in and out of the run each day going to eat?

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
                I really fancy one of these but my Columbian black tail probably weighs less than a rat! And what are the sparrows that hop in and out of the run each day going to eat?
                The sparrows eat the (admittedly more expensive) bird seed in the bird feeders!

Hang on a second - you've just made me realise that!

Comment

As for your columbian blacktail, strap lead weights to her legs!

Comment

My bird feeders are ignored in favour of the layers. Chickens don't mind sharing either, unless a pigeon or magpie ventures in, then all hell lets loose.

Comment

5 weeks on and I still haven't got around to building a bigger coop yet. Anyone got any recommendations for a coop (no run) for 6-8 birds?

We're back to 4 eggs a day now after they started laying under the hedge for a couple of weeks!!!

Comment

Started building the new coop last night with a load of wood i got free from work. I've got loads of ply and shiplap and it's turning into a bit of a beast!!! Pics up when i get a chance!
                        Last edited by Stan79; 22-05-2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X