No announcement yet.

Why do you keep chickens?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they are pets and the eggs are an extra bonus. when you are in the garden with them they are comical and follow me everywhere.

Comment

We got our 3 as a favour for a neighbour who had to get rid of theirs. We said we'd take them as a temporary measure but my wife just loves taking care of them so they are permanent residents now. I'd always considered getting a few for the eggs, but having them around makes us both smile at their antics. Now that the dogs are getting used to them they are able to stay out of the run most of the day. 3 hens + 4 acres = lots of hide & seek.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by petep View Post
        3 hens + 4 acres = lots of hide & seek.
        You need more!

Comment

I just added to the poll. My egg laying girls are pets( I do sell eggs to pay for there food), if I get any boys they end up in the freezer and they get a massive amount of respect in the kitchen, I use 100% of the bird and I get very .... Off if anyone wastes/leaves any of it.and I have given some ex bats a fantastic retirement. I will get more ex bats when I need more girls because they are stunning little characters, they are always pleased to see you. I love my chickens.

Comment

I'd say it was 60% for eggs and 40% for the fun of them when we first decided to have hens and it's about the same now. I love having them around, we all do. As others have said they're colourful little characters. DH's office is on our land and often one or two hens will go and get comfy by a nice warm server and chat to him My garden just looks too still without them. The eggs are great - hand on heart I'm not sure I'd have hens if they didn't lay, but having said that we cheerfully kept a hen who never laid a single egg, as she was part of the family.
            Last edited by MrsCordial; 02-08-2014, 12:10 PM.
            Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Keep mainly for eggs but enjoy there company when in the garden
              Bob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X