• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
    How lovely, they really look happy!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
    Can't see any weeds!

Wish I could have some chickens!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
    Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM.
    DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
      I don't suppose they had a bit of help 'getting out of' their run did they, by any chance... .
      Well it was a bit mysterious as I'd been wanting to let them out but we've a jungle of a garden and I was afraid of loosing them. Their gate was wired shut, I just don't know how it got open. But it was brilliant because it made me realise that they stick together and don't really want to wander off, mainly they want to be with us. Aww, I love them!
      The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Well...as I was writing that post I was soon to discover that I was completely wrong! That the hens were having a wonderful time raking up the next door neighbours lawn lol hmmm, will have to keep a closer eye on them in future!

Comment

Just mind they don't get a visit from a local dog or fox if they're out on their own Verinda... you'd be gutted if they were attacked
          sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I know, my sisters three hens were all killed by a fox and my friends entire flock of hens were all killed by a neighbours dog, she'd just gone to the shop and got back to see this horrendous sight. And one of our guinea pigs was snatched by a stoat at least we think it was a stoat. So yes plenty of dangers to worry about. I would be so upset if anything happened to them.

Comment

Have you thought about electric poultry netting at all? It's supposed to be the best deterrent for foxes and dogs. We've got it in our garden - bought in the UK before we moved. You can get different lengths, and either battery or mains powered. Might be worth looking into if you want your birds to free range, especially when you're not around?
              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Its a great idea, but probably too expensive for us at the moment. I have decided to keep the hens in their run unless I am out and about and able to keep an eye on them. They have a large run with all sorts to keep them occupied, trees and undergrowth, leaves and piles of sticks with insects...which have become known as insect hotels of death! lol so it's not too terrible for them. Just out of interest, does the electric poultry netting effect dogs or other animals?

Comment

It affects everything! We used to turn ours off overnight so hedgehogs didn't get zapped. Also don't bend over one wearing an underwired bra ........ or back the mower into one like my husband did - serious eeeeek!

Comment

Ooh! I don't think we'll be getting electric poultry netting then!! lol

Comment

Haha! It's essential actually. Well, it is if you live within half a mile of a Fox den!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I wouldn't be without my electric fence. OK It's zapped a couple of frogs but they would have been eaten by the chickens anyway if they had gone through the fence. Never had a hedgehog. OH has been zapped a few times by it though.

Comment

But I don't think the dog would be impressed if she kept getting zapped! Talking about the dog, I've noticed that she eats hen droppings! Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just my Molly?!

Comment

I think all animals have a liking for anothers poo. One reason to not let the dog lick you! Dogs only get zapped once by the fence then they'll give it a wide berth. It doesn't really hurt, just takes you by surprise.

Comment

I don't let dogs lick me, Molly also eats rabbit droppings...ugh! I'm starting to wish we could afford the fence. Yesterday and today the hens were left in their run and they seemed really annoyed. Two of them decided to try and fly out, flapping at the gate with mad abandon! So we've decided to let them out for a couple of hours every day, keep an eye on them and put them back if they wander too far off.

Comment

Alice is making herself at home in the kitchen! Avoid looking at my scruffy kitchen floor please!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X