Teething problems...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teething problems...

So, my chickens seem to be doing pretty well in general. They are all feeding well, look healthy and happy and taking themselves up in the coop each night.

BUT we had one soft egg on Saturday which was found in the corner of the run. It had been laid much earlier in the morning than their previous laying and I wondered if it had been laid too early which is why it was soft. When I reached in to get it out, it burst and of course the chickens quickly ate up the yolk and white before I was able to clear it up.

Another strange egg was laid early on Monday morning (6.15am). Whilst the shell seemed much paler and a little thin, it was hard and seemed fine.

This afternoon I have come home and found the remains of a soft egg in the corner of the coop. I think it may have been from yesterday. Most of the shell was there but it was squashed and empty. Again, it was a pale egg. (previously we have had 3 brown eggs from the 3 birds so I had assumed they are all brown layers.) But also there was the remains of a brown coloured egg in the run -this was definitely a perfectly fine egg but a lot of shell was missing, making me think they had eaten both the shell and insides. In the coop were two normal eggs untouched.

So... possible problems I have: soft eggs being laid by one chicken. They have got grit which has oyster shell mixed in with them. Should I get more oyster shell separately to increase the amount of shell available to them?

Secondly, eggs are being laid in the coop, but not the nest boxes. Would a rubber egg or two left in the nest boxes possibly help?

Thirdly, one broken and eaten egg in the run but two more left untouched. Is this going to become a habit? I know this is a BAD habit and not sure how to find out which one it might be doing it.
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

The odd softie will almost always get scoffed by them as soon as it hits the floor. Trouble is, this could then escalate into egg-eating.

How long have you had them, and are they Ex-Batts or young hens? Sorry, but I have a very short memory!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Only had them one week and they are young - bought at point of lay.
      Likac66

Comment

It's probably (hopefully) just a glitch. In an ideal world, it would help if you could stay around until they've all laid, so you can remove the softie, so they don't all get the habit.

A couple of fake eggs/golf balls in the nest-box will help to give them the 'where to lay' message, too. Some Chooks just know, others take ages to take the hint. One of my ex-Batts still laid outside on the grass after three weeks.

Comment

Unfortunately I leave for work at 8am so can't be around while they all lay. Thanks for your help though.
          Likac66

Comment

3 lovely eggs all still intact when I got home this afternoon. Isn't it a lovely feeling? I always say thank you to the girls as well.
            Last edited by Likac66; 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM.
            Likac66

Comment

I still say; "Thank you, Ladies" everyday. I think most people do.

Sometimes their 'egg factory' takes a while to get working properly. Hopefully the 'glitch' is over now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X