Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New chickens after a break but help!! nWarning, its a long and sad one....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chickens after a break but help!! nWarning, its a long and sad one....

Hi guys, I'm back after quite a break on here. Personal reasons meant the garden etc left untouched for a while but things improved around here so decided to get more hens as well as get the veggies going again

We bought a new henhouse and run, ample sized, then chose 4 hybrid hens from a farm, all of the birds were 17-18 weeks old. This was only 6 weeks ago and already we've run into plenty of trouble!

After 2 weeks we came across a dead bird in her nest box in the afternoon. She had laid an egg in the morning and there were no outward signs of injury and definitely nothing getting into our run/coop. We contacted the farm that we bought the birds from and bearing in mind we were advised it could have just been a stress related heart attack.

The following week my 8 year old son went to check the birds after school as there was another dead. This time in the run. There was a certain amount of blood around her rear and intestines on the ground, but she had been checked that morning and was fine. And had also laid an egg in the nextbox at some time inbetween! The 2 remaining birds were pecking at both the dead chicken and the intestines on the floor. As you can imagine this was very distressing for the children. We emailled the farm again and this time were advised it was most likely a prolapse during egg laying and she had died from loss of blood while we were at work.

This was a bad enough start but at the weekend just gone we noticed blood around the bottom of one of the 2 remaining birds. She has so far always laid really big eggs, virtually every one a double yolk, and she is obviously struggling. And of course, being attracted by the blood, she was being pecked at by the other hen, who coincendentally (or not!!) is very definitely the dominant bird. At the moment we have got them seperated. The dominant bird (have to say quite aggressive to people and hens, a White Ranger) has been evicted to a seperated section of the run with a catbasket for a nestbox which she is using no problem.

The question is what to do next?! The giant egg laying Coral is much much better and very perky. Still laying. But we're anxious about putting the birds back together, especially if the coral carries on laying such monster eggs! Ultimately of course we wanted to have 4 birds but the whole situation has been so distressing, especially for the children that we just don't know what to do next. We've spoken to a farmer friend who has just suggested euthanising the 2 remaining birds and starting again but that seems very unfair. But then again it also isn't going to be very practical to keep one bird seperate longterm either, and the whole idea was to have 4 birds, one for each of the children.

They are still only 23 weeks old. If things settle down could we try introducing 2 more birds to the flock or is that asking for trouble? Maybe if we introduced 2 new birds just to the Coral and left the White Ranger on her own for a couple more weeks? We hoped evicting the White Ranger for a while might knock her down a peg or two but we're dreading letting her back in with the Coral, or any new birds to be honest.

I'd really really appreciate some help, advice or just general opinions on what people would do in my situation. The farm we were dealing with has now stopped replying to my emails and it is keeping us all awake at night......

Thank you in advance and sorry for the essay on my first post back

Becky in Brighton

2 dead in less than 6 weeks is very strange for young birds. Double yolkers shouldn't lead to a prolapse. Have you seen them pecking each other before the eating incident? I would go back to the breeders, explain all what's happened and try to get your money back. My feeling is that they possibly have a serious pecking problem. I wouldn't keep them.
    Call them, don't email. Or better still-, bite the bullet and take the birds back. A good breeder would at least give you the money back for the ones you have.
    Last edited by Scarlet; 14-05-2013, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Agree with Scarlet, very strange. How were the birds kept at the farm where you bought them? Lots in a pen or just a few in a roomy enclosure? Overcrowding encourages pecking and for youngsters to be behaving so badly suggests poor management of them as chicks/growers.

You most likely will have a lot of trouble with the white one, so you are best shot of her, either to a more experienced home or take her back to the farm. Keep the other one, make sure she is well recovered before introducing any new hens and I would strongly advise buying from a different place, one who will give you full support and back up if you have further problems. This farm's attitude is not impressive, to say the least.

As an afterthought, how big is their run? Is it roomy enough to allow the birds to run around freely and to be able to have hiding places from bullies? Most hybrids are particularly active birds and need plenty of space to keep themselves entertained.

Comment

The White Ranger has always pecked at the others, she also tries to barge her way out when you open up the run and will sit on top of the tree stump and flap and squawk at the others. I was expecting a top hen and it was quite comical at first but she's definitely a bully! Their run is around 3 metres square with a raised up henhouse with 2 nest boxes.

I've tried ringing the farm, they never answer. I'm thinking taking them back at the weekend could be the best option. Don't really care whether or not we get money back now!!

Comment

Ok for starters your run sounds far too small for 4 birds (suggest at the very least 2 sq m per bird and ideally more than this with some free ranging time too). That said, you obviously have some difficult birds and so returning them would be in their and your best interests. I would then suggest looking for a more placid breed that will be happier in the restricted space you have, eg pekins (who are also very child friendly and come in lots of different colours).

Comment

Just to update, we resorted to bumper beak bits in the end. It has worked a treat though, after an hour or so both birds settled right down and we have no more injuries! I would recommend as a last resort to anyone having similar difficulties. Thanks for all the advise everyone.

Comment

What is a bumper beak bit like?
              I can sympathise, I had trouble with the two little battie's. One of them was picked on by everyone.
              It is quite distressing.

The lady we got our original birds from was very good at taking birds back if they turned out not to be hens after all! No quibbles at all.
              If these two don't last then the pekins sound like the best family solution.
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

If I'm right in thinking, they're plastic clips that clip over the beak, hooking onto the nasal indentations - stopping them from pecking each other. Like muzzles

Comment

That's exactly it. They can stay on for 2 to 3 months apparently then wear out. We'll give them another chance without after that to see if habit broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Beckybex View Post
                    Just to update, we resorted to bumper beak bits in the end. It has worked a treat though, after an hour or so both birds settled right down and we have no more injuries! I would recommend as a last resort to anyone having similar difficulties. Thanks for all the advise everyone.
                    I used these when we had a problem with the second lot. I had a pecking/feather eating hen. Solved the problem and bits removed. I also upped the protein for a while.
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                      If I'm right in thinking, they're plastic clips that clip over the beak, hooking onto the nasal indentations - stopping them from pecking each other. Like muzzles
                      Yes, that stop the beak from clamping tight shut. They can eat and drink OK. Took ours off after two weeks. You can get sunglasses too that work on the same problem.
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X