No announcement yet.

Beginners Guide to Chickens Please.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners Guide to Chickens Please.....

OK so we have the veg - we have the fruit and now I would like chickens!
    We only want 2-3 chickens as there is only 2 of us but...
    What else do we need for our first foray into chicken owning?
    We know we need a house/coop and as big a run as possible but we don't have much (or realistically hardly any money) as a set up fund so would like to plan on chicken arrival by March - April.
    Any help would be REALLY appreciated.
    Sue

Eglu. Nearly bought one myself last week.....

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Here- have a look at this...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oks_62408.html
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
        Eglu. Nearly bought one myself last week.....
        I have one Newton, but they are pricey. Brilliant though.
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

The minimum advisable number of Chooks is three. That way, if/when one dies, there are still two to keep each other company. Then you get two more (not advisable to introduce only one, as it will get picked on) and you then have four. Before you know it, you will have twenty!

Chooks are seriously addictive.

My best advice, is to get yourself a cuppa, and start trawling through this (Rule the Roost) section of the forum. It'll take you a while (about a month!!) and you'll learn loads.

Short answer - Haynes Chicken Manual.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Are you any good at DIY?

This will work out much cheaper than an eglu

Why not see if you can find a second-hand shed, put a perch in, cut a pop-hole, put one of these in

POP HOLE DROP HATCH DOOR CHICKEN SHED ( INCUBATOR EGGS | eBay

and your house is ready.

Nest boxes - the plastic crates that spring onions come in are great, your local supermarket should be glad to get rid of some. Just pop some newspaper in the base and put bedding on top and that's sorted, and easily cleaned

Build a run, ideally one you can stand up in, or have easy access to,you don't want be crawling around in the run. I would suggest putting a solid roof on to keep the elements out, you'd be surprised how quickly a few chickens can completely mess up the ground and make it a quagmire - which they hate.

A feeder and food to put in it A drinker and other than chickens you're sorted.

I know there are only two of you, but please get a minimum of three birds. Chickens are social creatures and do not like being on their own. If you have three and something happens to one of them at least the remaining birds will have each other.

Chickens don't lay every day so you won't be inundated with eggs, particularly at this time of year, and even if you are your friends and neighbours will love to receive your surplus.

Go for it, they are very undemanding animals and great fun to keep.
            Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

I'm free ranging mine because we have a farm, but they are clearing the ground outside their coop, and I've started throwing their mix into the chook forest so they can start to clear that a bit as well. We've prob had them a month or 6 weeks? So they will need to be moved soon. We're thinking of making a mobile chook house out of a little wooden trailer we have, so they have the home to roost in, but we can move it around the farm so they don't mess the one place up. We only have 3 chooks and a rooster so only 4 sets of feet and they are busy.
              I like the look of those tractor things, especially the triangular ones, they look easy to move around etc. If you could make one, or even get a handyman locally to put one together it would be good, then you don't have to have a really big run, and they can fertilise the lawns for you.
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I dislike eglus, pokey over priced things, just not to my taste.
                Buy a small shed from b and q best coop I have ever had!!!!! look on freecycle for fencing and wood, and shed, and even a coop.!! Provided it is waterproof, has an egg laying area and not infested with red mite.....Everything you need to know will be in this forum somewhere!

Comment

Thank you all for the advice it is much appreciated. Over the next few months we will start collecting, building and preparing for the arrival of the chucks.

Comment

Do your homework and read up on all things chicken. Don't get seduced by fancy breeds, many are harder to care for than you think. A few hybrids or less fancy pure breeds such as Rhode Island Red or Light Sussex will provide you with plenty of eggs and are pretty easy going. Plan the site of your run to be in the driest part of the garden if possible. As Petal says a shed is a better bet than a ready made hen house (most on the market are way overpriced) but most important of all is outdoor space - give them as much land as you can. Otherwise, a good quality feed, fresh water, and regular parasite control is all they really need.

Comment

Ditto all that's said above - especially the bit about being seduced by fancy breeds - I've lost lots of them! They just don't seem to live as long as hybrids or game birds. Have fun though. I wouldn't buy an Eglu either - plastic and tiny. I've a shed which I've converted (its quite easy) and its great!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X