Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chooks roosting all over the place........

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chooks roosting all over the place........

Went to check on hens tonight in the dark. I had three roosting in one large coop,three roosting in another,two roosting outside,3 roosting in a tiny coop/nest box and five in another small coop nestbox.
    The reason I have four coops is that I used to seperate my flocks and have a cockerel running with each. Now that I've had to get rid of my cockerels I've cut holes between each run so the hens can all mingle together.
    I booted out the few that were sleeping in the nestboxes as I don't want poo on eggs.

The only advantage could be if a fox managed to get into one of the coops..........at least he wouldn't be able to wipe out my whole chook population.

I will probably go for trying to get them to roost in the two large coops as these are the most weatherproof and warm for them.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

You should put some pics up, Snadger! So the nosey lot (ok, just me) can have a look

On a slightly randomly related note. I think the full moon (or there abouts) has some strange effect on my flock. They were standing in a circle, in the garden at half six the other morning, screeching to high heaven. No predators around (wife was out there too), just each one trying to be louder than the other previous one. A few lights came on (oops!). Wife eventually turned to our daughter to shut them up, who promptly marched out and told them all to stop shouting as they woke her heh. Today, they'd not go in their coop (no RM, rats, or other nasties). Strange lot, eh?

Comment

could be worse, could be turkeys, large turkeys, roosting in trees - needing to be removed, involving climbing and poking......

Comment

My new Batties took nearly a fortnight to learn where to sleep - they had three options; outside, under the coop, or inside. Pillocks. Now they just need to learn where to lay their eggs. I've never had such dim-witted Chooks before!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Aww, they've never had a choice before G4!

Comment

Ah but once you've taught them they'll do just fine, unlike my turkeys, who are just dead thick.

Comment

I had roosters roosting in the tree the other week when there were too many of them. The new little girls are out for the first time with the big birds so let's see what I can find when I go down there this evening!
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                Ah but once you've taught them they'll do just fine, unlike my turkeys, who are just dead thick.
                Actually, I still call them the 'stoopid sisters' Annoyingly, the new 'Batties' have take on all the traits of the 'Barnies' and have started laying all over the run, under the coop, under the feeder...

They also all rush up to the gate, when I approach, then sit on my feet, preventing me from walking. I have to shuffle across the run, or they get kicked and trodden on. I know Chooks really are 'bird-brained' but this lot have absolutely NO common sense at all.
                Last edited by Glutton4...; 17-12-2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

My free ranging banties do this too. I do a kind of shuffle with them all trying to sit on my feet. They are very good at telling me they haven't been fed for months despite bulging crops and feeders still containing feed.

Comment

That sounds very familiar, RH.

I have two of those big fab plastic hoppers with the spring dispenser underneath (homemade by someone who sells on eB*y). They take a whole sack of feed, which makes life easier. However, most of the chooks sit under it staring at the spring, and won't peck it until I've been in there and kicked it with my toe a few times. After that they peck at it and eat the feed that comes out. They do this EVERY RUDDY DAY! When will they ever learn? Soooooo frustrating.
                    Last edited by Glutton4...; 17-12-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

LOL so glad I don't have any fancy things. Bucket of water, throw the feed out into the grass (look for it y' lazy beggars!) they don't call it free range for nothing!

The new 'baby' birds - not really babies but look so little compared, are sooo funny. They don't roost.
                      The run into the nesting boxes when they hear me coming....not sure they've tried free ranging at the front of the coop, let alone outside!
                      Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

LOL so glad I don't have any fancy things. Bucket of water, throw the feed out into the grass (look for it y' lazy beggars!) they don't call it free range for nothing!

The new 'baby' birds - not really babies but look so little compared, are sooo funny. They don't roost.
                        The run into the nesting boxes when they hear me coming....not sure they've tried free ranging at the front of the coop, let alone outside!
                        Ali

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X