No announcement yet.

Chicken Coop Design, feedback please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Fowl - ~12-18" of perch space. 1 nestbox between ~3 birds is adequate.

Scratching space? As in outdoor space? As much as you can give them.

Comment

Thanks Chris . I am surprised the birds share nest boxes , bit like cookoos .

David

Comment

cookoo is right, you watch them all jostle for a spot in the nestbox however if you put two in, likely hood is they'll jostle in 1 still
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
          cookoo is right, you watch them all jostle for a spot in the nestbox however if you put two in, likely hood is they'll jostle in 1 still
          Yep! We have 2 nest boxes..... the status quo seems to be 3 chickens in one next box, and one in the other nest box, trying to find a way to squeeze in with the rest

Comment

We have 2 nest boxes for 5 hens.

One hen sleeps in the tree and never goes into the hen house if she can help it - hasn't laid in the house for a few years. Three lay in the house, usually in the middle of the floor, but occasionally in a nest box. The other stopped laying a week or so back. She is a hybrid and I am sure she is laying but where??? I have tried keeping them in longer in the mornings, but she must cross her legs until I give up and let them out. I try watching where she goes, but that hasn't helped. What a waste of eggs, especially as the weather has been so soggy and I have looked in the more sheltered places.

Comment

That looks very similar to the one i made only we have a peaked roof that doubles up as the lid to open to collect the eggs. Works a treat plus as its raised of the ground the chicks love laying in the dry soil underneath and it stops the rats getting to my eggs. I think you will have some very happy chickens.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X