No announcement yet.

Help pls! (dog killed chickens)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So sorry to hear about this Chris. What a horrible shock for you and your family.

We had two dogs come onto our property last year and rip the door off our rabbit hutch and kill my daughter's rabbit. My husband saw them in the act - he heard a strange noise and went to investigate - and they shot off. Our neighbour (a sheep farmer) trapped them in his garden and called the police who did come pretty promptly. The owner eventually turned up and compensated us grudgingly. He would have been forking out a lot more I can tell you if they had got in to the chicken areas, and my neighbour would have shot them without hesitation if they had so much as dared to sniff at the lambs.
    Last edited by RichmondHens; 14-07-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Just thought, probably won't go up there - I'd no doubt come back with some young ones, if they didn't have any older ones in - which would I guess need to be on growers - can't be dealing with the hassle of that.. I'll wait until Tuesday!

Comment

Chris, I have just caught up with this, it all sounds horrible and hope your little girls are ok now. My children are always full of questions about such matters and we do try to answer honestly without making things worse.
        I have a constant worry of next doors 2 mental jack russels as they are always trying to find a way in and by their owners own admisison they do not have their own grand children round to stay because they don't trust the dogs! I know they'd make short work of my chickens.

Hope you get some new chooks soon and they live a long and happy life, and good luck to the baby bird!

Comment

Just caught up with this - what a horrid situation. At least you caught and knew the dog/owner. Climbed out a bathroom window - pull the other one mate!

Comment

I am so so sorry Chris. I know just how mad you must be feeling since it happened to us last year - and that was one bird.

I spoke to the dog warden about it much after the event and they were very good. They are of the opinion that 'accidents' do happen and that while the law states that dogs should be under control that you must do a reasonalbe amount to keep them away from your stock. By the sounds of it you have - the area is fenced in etc. If that the case then they are more likely to do something about it.
            But nothing will bring the birds back will it?

Hopefully the owner will have learnt a valuable lesson. Hopefully. The one that kiled my bird killed several small garden pets before it got my hen then went on to seriously injure a cat (vet bill in the hundreds) and several other animals before it was dealt with. Everyone seemed powerless to do anything.

Anyway, I do hope you have had a good nights sleep, all of you your daughter especially, and are feeling a bit better today.

Polo
            xxx

Comment

Thanks folks - my daughter said to me this morning that the chickens had gone before of the dog, so she understands I think (quite shocked that she told me that to be honest, she's not even 3 yet). I've told her I took them to the doctors because the dog hurt them - we've sat down this morning and "chosen" what new chickens we're going to get, and she's seen the survivor - was happy with that so I think she's alright about the situation, just obviously sad.

Comment

Is there anyone local that could lend you a bird until your new ones arrive Chris ? Might help her (the survivor) perk up if she has company
                Last edited by bearded bloke; 14-07-2012, 11:51 AM. Reason: added clarity
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                  Sad and unlucky chap.

Strange that if a dog worries sheep you have the right to shoot it/insist it is destroyed...if those are your livestock to feed your family..is there a difference?

....still I am sure that the death of the dog is not the happiest ending. However, I do feel that if he understands this is the likely endgame it would sharpen his resolve to avoid the dog escaping again. Cos sure as eggs iz eggs that dog will have a taste for it now.

Having lost pheasants, chooks, rabbits(3 yo son found head in sandpit!) and guinea pigs to foxes over the years the best ways to stop digging under is L-shaped wire...strip turf and bend chicken wire out at right angles 18 inches or so and re-bury. (or put in another strip) or run an electric wire just outside the perimeter. (bit pricey for kit tho)

you've done the right thing concreting by the door...always the weak point.

Think you've taken a very mature line on the issue....hope you have no more grief.
                  This what we have got Chris on the Eglu cube. It's basically weld mesh bent at a 90° angle at the bottom to create a skirt. Weld mesh isn't too expensive and we were skipping some (bits), I will go and dig them back out if you want them. They can sit and wait for when you can get over. But weren't they out in your garden? In which case, no amount of weld mesh can sort it.
                  That idiot needs to take greater responsibility for his dog, or lose him for good. Sounds a nasty one to me!
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Just seen this Chris, and want to say how horrible it must have been for you all.
                    I really hope you look forward to the happy times with the new chicks that you will choose.
                    So sorry mate.

Comment

Thanks VVG, I've a roll of weldmesh in my garage left over from
                      My run. There's no where else for me to dig a skirt of it in, every other bit is surrounded by a wall (10') or pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                        Is there anyone local that could lend you a bird until your new ones arrive Chris ? Might help her (the survivor) perk up if she has company
                        I do have a local friend with chooks but just incase they pass something on or fight - I think I'll hold off. That farm I was on about only has 12 week old pullets, so glad
                        I didn't go up there !

Comment

I still have Elly on her own Chris and she's fine. We will add more but after the horrors we had I wanted to hold off and ensure she lived first. She's been in the polytunnel with me this morning. I know one on their own isn't ideal but mine is toddling along fine. This weldmesh I have is thick solid welded square panels, not rollable.
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                            I do have a local friend with chooks but just incase they pass something on or fight - I think I'll hold off. !
                            Good point bud,never thought of bugs & fighting
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Oh dear, I do feel for you.
                              I have a little modern game girlie currently stoically battling a cat attack in my kitchen at the mo. I don't think she's going to make it, although there's hardly a mark on her. I've had to move all my hens out of my garden onto a smallholding as I'm sick to death of cats attacking my birds. There's 3 that visit regularly, and they're much bigger than my bantams. If I caught one at it I'm not sure what I'd do. Realistically I can't bring myself to kill them but it does make me cross and upset. You must be gutted.

Comment

Is it legal to shoot a dog on your property? and before I am attacked verbally by anyone- this dog could attack children next time.

We had this problem 2 years ago- a nasty terrier got in and slaughtered buff orpingtons, light sussex, brahma etc- the dog owner agreed she had no control, couldn't cope and took dog straight to a rescue home to be rehomed. Had she not, we would of taken it to one far, far away. simple as.
                                no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners. ?

by the way - we have a german shepherd and its chickens are its babies- it defends them and herds them into bed with me.
                                Last edited by petal; 14-07-2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X