Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not returned to laying after being poorly

Hi

One of my hens was poorly for a day or so around 9th April. Still don't know what was wrong with her, but she got better very quickly - the following day I believe. She stopped laying at that time, and hasn't started again since. She's sat in the nest box a few times over the past few days, but hasn't managed to produce anything yet - although there was a shell-less egg in the coop the other day which was either her's or one other hen's. I'm not worried about her exactly - she looks to be in peak condition at the moment, and none of the others appears to have caught anything from her. But I'm concerned about why she's not laid for so long - is this normal after being poorly for such a short time? Her non-laying ties in with one of the younger hens being broody - the day the broody stopped being broody (sigh of relief), Hetty started to show an interest in nest boxes again. Is this coincidence? Could the poorliness and the broodiness and the no-egginess be connected in some way?
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Give her a bit more time. These things sometimes affect them more than you think.

Comment

Hi RH. It just seemed like a long time and I didn't know if I needed to worry or not. I'm not anxious about the lack of eggs, I just thought maybe there was something wrong with her. However, there was an egg dropped in the straw in the indoor run this morning, very large and almost white, thin shell, rough to touch, but her signature oval shape, so probably her's. Now she's gone into a nest box mind you, and seems to have taken root! Another broody maybe... Pity she's selected the most popular box!
      sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X