Thoughts on this coop idea?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this coop idea?

I've taken on board the whole shed idea, and am currently looking for a used one, however, I have had an idea that I *think* will work, but want to run it by the experts lol.

Imagine if you will lol, a 6 x 4 shed. I have been told to put a dividing panel in so that I can keep both layers and broilers in the same coop - my thought is rather than divide the floor space in half, divide the height of the shed in half, creating a second floor about 3 feet up. This would give both the layers and broilers full sqare footage of the shed.....figured a bird doesn't need more than 3 feet of height or so? Then I can put the runs on different sides creating an 'L' shape.

I would make/buy a ramp for the birds on the second storey down to their run.

I would also make the second floor quite sturdy so that if need be, it would support my weight (for those seriously deep cleanings lol). However I think a broom, my long arms and a pressure washer would suffice for the most part?

Does this sound like a feasible idea to maximise space?

How many birds can I comfortably fit into a 4 x 6 x 3(ht) space? Want them to have plenty of room. They will be free range at least a few hours each day, probably more depending on the weather.

Also, can I get suggestions for a particular breed that doesn't fly up much? I would hate for one to find itself in with my dogs (american akitas). They have they're own space that has a 4 ft fence and doghouse, and they don't jump, so they are no threat to the birds....more like the birds would be their own worst enemy! We are hoping for 4 layers to begin with.

I know it's a bit petty, but a really lovely bird that doesn't fly high would be REALLY good....I've gotten my 4 girls interested by showing them pictures of different chickens......really, REALLY bad idea..

Thank you!

clever idea, Like it, lay a piece of lino on the floors as this is easy to clean as long as you can remove for dusting. as to the no of girls inside, well mine all huddled together leaving a massive space around them, I would say the number of girls depends more on the run size as this is where they spend their awake time
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Lino is a really good idea, thank you.

I can get off cuts cheaply can't I? Don't think the birds would care if the lino matched.....

Comment

2 tier version should work OK, but remember layers need a nestbox (which you need to be able to get to, for egg collection) and a perch (which should be higher than the nestbox).
        It might be better to make the dividing floor a removeable one (of plywood?) and plan on taking it out while the birds are busy elsewhere for the extra degree of cleaning.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Yep, I'd make it removable so you can get in and clean it out - trying to make it to support your weight would be too much effort, more wood joins etc, for mites to hide in, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
            Yep, I'd make it removable so you can get in and clean it out - trying to make it to support your weight would be too much effort, more wood joins etc, for mites to hide in, etc!
            Besides which, have you considered what it would be like trying to do the cleaning while crouched in a space 3 ft high?

Comment

never thought of this before- might actually work...

Comment

I'm tiny, so no the thought didn't cross my mind lol, but me and the husband were discussing it, and he said that the floor should be removable. I *facepalmed*. Seems so obvious, and actually easier.

I've got the idea firmly in my head, and I'm going to draw up a plan to go with it. Should be dead easy, and give the birds plenty of space.

I'm glad I thought of something that seems quite useful.

Comment

Oh, and nestbox is already sorted in my head as well actually think I will buy a pre built one and fix it to the side of the shed (after making a large enough hole of corse lol), so I can get to the eggs without crawling for them.

The original door to the shed will be my access, while I'll create 2 doors for the chickens. Will need a hand on that bit though...have no clue how to build a chicken door!

Comment

2 tier sounds quite complicated. I would have thought you could just divide the interior with a wire screen and put a door in it to access the other part. I did this with a bantam shed once having the birds in one side and feed and equipment stored in the other. So you could have the external door into say the layers part (make life easy for collecting eggs) and an internal gate/door to allow access into the meat bird area. This way you get full height in both parts for ease of mucking out and it will be far cheaper and easier to construct. But that's just my opinion, obviously you can do it whichever way you fancy.

Comment

Its an intriguing concept - and sounds like it should work. Personally I would construct the upper tier by fixing some 2x2 the length of the shed on both sides (would probably need some support not just screwed to the shed sides) and then some planks of pallet wood or other cheapy wood just placed across like shelves - small or no gaps and then covered with lino or similar - you can then clean it by removing one plank at a time which I think would be easier than one big bit of wood.

You could build a nestbox onto the last plank so thats removable too. the perches would be similarly supported by some wood on the sides.

Keep us posted - and piccys if you do make it.

In terms of how many - I think it really does depend on the run - my very ancient shepherds hut hen house which is about the same size as a shed currently has a7 hens and a cockerel in it - they have 4 perches to choose from but generally all fit themselves on 2.

Comment

Ill post pictures when I do it - definitely being done, it's just a 2-3 month plan lol. It's all worked out in my head. I've designed it so that not only the floor, but the support beams are all easily removable so that are as few nooks and crannies as possible.

It really doesnt seem like any more work than the other way, and a more efficient use of the available space. Obviously that's the way ideas start, and there a decent chance I end up cussing myself out during the build. Weve been slowly re-doing our house and I've had that particular situation arise more than once!

Comment

The reason people who design things for a living expect to get paid so much is that, for the rest of us, we learn what doesn't work by doing it!
                          Even simple things like the spreadsheet I use for a facebook game I do, I am now using Mark3, and it could still do with some improvements...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X