Chicks 4 weeks old - when does the hen return to the flock

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicks 4 weeks old - when does the hen return to the flock

The chicks are 4 weeks old now, and the broodie isn't so broodie anymore. She isn't so interested in them now and they are doing things more independently of her. Myfanwy looks longingly at the world 'outside' of her temporary coop and run, though they still end up under her wing on the nest at night.
    At what stage do they separate from her, and when do I reintroduce her to the other hens?
    Also should I put a perch in the nest area so that they get the idea of sleeping on a roost?
    I could just have the straw nest without the cardboard box surround and fit a low perch in the temporary coop if that will help them get the idea?

David

I would leave them with her for at least another 4 weeks. They need the warmth of the hen at night even if they are independant during the day. A perch? I think they are too young and would wait a bit also if there is a perch Mum may use it and not be the hot waterbottle they need. Once you think the young can keep themselves warm enough at night you can put Mum back with the other hens but do it at night and then there won't be quite so much agro from the flock.

Best of luck
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

ditto. far too young to leave mum and a perch is not good for them until they are older.

Comment

The Hen will stop chatting to them and calling them over to eat any treats you give (Scrambled egg, meal-worms etc.). When she pushes them out of the way and starts to feed herself first, then She's ready to leave them!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Ditto what the others have said. Chicks need to be with mum till fully feathered and no longer sleeping under her wing at night, usually 6 - 7 weeks old. And unless you have a strong desire to get mum back into lay asap if she is still happy to brood them then you can leave her with them until she shows you she doesn't want them. As G4 says they stop calling them over, sometimes even chasing them away so she can get first dibs at the food etc.

There's no real need for a straw nest now either. I clean all the bedding out of my broody coops and leave them on a thin layer of shavings once the chicks are a few days old. I find my broodies tend to scrape the bedding out anyway so it minimises mess if I get there first! This also gives them a bit more room to manoeuvre inside the sleeping area. Also I give mine a run extension (I realise this may not be an option for you) which keeps the broody happily pottering for longer and less likely to get "cabin fever".

Comment

Daft question: do you move the broody coop/run to mow the grass or does the broody keep it down?

Comment

Well they scratch it up pretty quickly but yes I usually move it to mow. The tiny chicks can't cope with very long grass anyway, it's nicer for them to run around on short stuff. The mower also hoovers up some of the poo and feathers too so makes it look slightly tidier for a while. I usually move the coops every couple of days anyway to give them all fresh grass so they get moved whether I am mowing or not.
              Last edited by RichmondHens; 19-04-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Hi
                Thanks for the information - again!
                I don't know what I'd do without you guys...
                I've already extended the run RH as Myfanwy was getting a bit stir crazy!
                I'll sort out the sleeping area tonight - I've already changed the cardboard nest box 4 times so it'll be easier without it.
                I've attached some photos from last week - when the sun shone - so you can see where we're at.
                Attached Files

Comment

Oh they look great - how exciting! We are hatching soon if all goes to plan with our broody so thanks fo asking the questions - it good to be prepared!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X