Hello from a soon to be chicken keeper

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a soon to be chicken keeper

Just thought I would drop in and say hello as I'm busy preparing everything so that i can get some girls next month.

Already have the coop built and the run (3m x 4m permanent, but they will get supervised garden time also)will be getting built 9th/10th March. Been out and bought most of my supplies (and a few books) and the rest of my supplies are already arriving by post.

Looking to get 6 girls, not sure what to get but I do like Marans (blue and black copper necks), Welsummer (silver duckwing), Barndeveldors (double laced), Orpingtons (chocolate and blue splash), Cream Legbar, Dorking (silver grey),
    Wyandottes (sliver lace), Araucana (lavender) and the light sussex.

Would it be ok to get 2 marans, 2 orpingtons, 1 cream legbar and 1 wellsummer, would they get on together? I have read that cream legbars can be a little psycho at times, would that upset the other girls or would it cause the other girls to pick on a smaller one?

I have found a local breeder that does these 4 breeds close to me so wanted to get opinions before I call her. I would prefer POL but if they are younger and it means they are more likely to get on with each other then I would be happy with that.

I feel like an expectant mum at the moment, so worried but excited to be getting my girls and it feels like nesting (pardon the pun) trying to get everything sorted out, lol.

I would expect that your chosen breeds would be fine together... I have Welsummers, Barnevelders, Vorwerks and hybrids all running together, along with 4 cockerels and 10 ducks!!

I find that my Barnevelders are the worst out of all of them! Bossy, vindictive and greedy little b*ggers, they are! You'll find that your girls will establish their own 'pecking order', however young they are; and as long as they have enough space and interesting things, they'll be fine

Comment

I have a cream legbar, barnevelder, Orpington and pekin bantam. They were all bought together last July aged 9 weeks and all get on fine. There was the occasion squabble earlier on but they have all settled down. My legbar is called Rascal for good reason! She jumps on me every opportunity she gets, looking for grapes. The barnevelder was originally very shy but now very friendly. The pekin can hold her own against the bigger birds, if they get in her way she grabs their neck feathers!

Comment

I've got a mix of bantam and large, various breeds and hybrids all running together through winter and penned in summer.
        My copper maran and cream legbar seem to be the most picked on. The orpingtons stand their ground but are not nasty. I did have lavender araucana but they got bullied to bits, so went off to a new home. But that was in a big group.
        The bantys seem to be bossier than the bigs, and the wyandotte bantys vary widely in temperament from placid to bully. Dont have silver laced though, just barred and buff laced, and a couple of gold.
        It seems to be the odd colour out that gets bullied, ie one red hen with a group of blacks. So your mix sounds good. And cream legbars that have been handled from chicks aren't as daft as ones who have been left untouched, as with most breeds. But even so mine probably are the ones that least like being handled, the cochins are best.
        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Sounds like a lovely mix, nice egg colours too. I would have thought that getting them all at the same time would mean they should all get on. Good luck, you'll love them.
          Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

How exciting for you. I have light sussex girls, all raised together and they have lovely natures and distinctive personalities. I think getting your girls all at the same time and putting them into their new home together should mean all goes smoothly. I've had problems in the past introducing new groups into an established space.
            They are such fun and very rewarding to keep - only thing is I could waste hours watching them - enjoy!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X