screening to slightly hide the run

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screening to slightly hide the run

we have 2 coops and 2 runs in our back garden.

the problem we have is everytime me or my gf goes into the kitchen the chooks start squawking hoping for treats etc so i was hoping to either grow something up the front mesh of their runs or plant a hedge in front of each one to hopefully cut that down a bit.

also as a bonus it may reduce the volume of any squawking noise they do make so that it is less likely to be heard by neighbours.

i guess the obvious ones are things like leylandii or other hedge type trees that we jsut have to keep an eye on. the other option could be maybe to attach some trellis or similar to the mesh and grow somtething up that.

what is there that the chooks would just eat and pull to bits in minutes tho, any ideas or am i better off getting some conifers and a good hedge trimmer?

one run has a front section approx 10 feet across, the other about 6-7 feet.

thanks, sorry for the long post.

You could grow a mixed native hedge. Flowers, berries, even fruit, something to add a bit of year round interest... unlike a row of leylandii or conifers.

I have this idea (when i do one day get chickens) of making productive use of the fences and raising espalier fruit trees along them.

Anything but leylandii
    Last edited by Maccabee; 20-02-2012, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Camoflage netting as a temporary measure? JACK PYKE CLEARVIEW HUNTING HIDE NET 2 x1.5m camouflage | eBay
      Or have a trellis a foot away and grow your climbing beans up it?

Comment

Trellis is a good idea. Instant screen once the plants are established - beans, sweet peas, whatever takes your fancy. Definitely quicker than trying to get a hedge established.

Also train your hens not to shout every time they see you. Withdraw treats for at least a week. Keep visiting them and showing them you are not carrying anything. Hopefully they'll soon get the message.

Comment

Originally posted by jps View Post
          the chooks start squawking hoping for treats
          I guess they can be trained, just like dogs or parrots can. So, don't reward them for squawking. Reward them when they are quiet & calm.

Persist with it, it should happen sooner or later.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

ok thanks for the tips guys, i have been trying to ingore them but my gf panics about the neighbours and takes them food when they squawk, i shall try and stop that for now.

cheers

Comment

my gf panics ... takes them food when they squawk
              There ya go then! They've got her trained really well

Comment

i have been trying to ingore them
                Don't just ignore them: you have to reward them for the good behaviour. So, wait until they've calmed down and are quiet, and THEN feed them some treats.

Catch them being good: every time they're quiet, treat (reward) them.

Comment

Wot they all said! And PLEEASE don't plant leylandii!!!!!!!!
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

sorry jps just had to smile when i read your post. mine do exactly the same, even when they hear my shoes when i come in from work they come running down to the kitchen door as they think ive got treats!!! they have such good hearing. love the training idea, think i will have to do it as i would like my patio back come the summer and it would be nice if they could get used to staying on the upper part of the garden. i have a small wall they could jump over if they really wanted to. behind the wall is my little veg patch and i do grow beans up poles in there as this does actually deter them its almost like a fence in itself when they are all in a row. i also have trellis the other idea which is an excellent idea and much quicker than waiting for a hedge to establish. youll have to let me know how you get on with the training! im going to really try and curb the treats and see if it helps! i also panic about the neighbours though and do tend to quickly grab something and throw it out to keep them quiet!

Comment

Originally posted by Maccabee View Post
                      Anything but leylandii
                      Do you mind if i steal this quote to add to my signature?
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

By all means

Comment

Originally posted by angelat View Post
                          mine do exactly the same, even when they hear my shoes when i come in from work they come running down to the kitchen door as they think ive got treats!... quickly grab something and throw it out to keep them quiet!
                          Yep, they have you trained as well

Different species but same process:
                          My parrot will say (or screech) anything to get attention. The screaming can really bother owners, who give up and have the poor bird rehomed.

She used to do a REALLY loud telephone ring, because she'd noticed that a ringing phone gets the humans moving quickly. She did it for WEEKS, and it drove me bananas. I stuck to my guns, ignoring it and not scolding her as I wanted to (any attention is good attention, for the bird).
                          She gave it up.

Now, it's the dog whistle: really piercing, shrill, hurts my ears. I am saying NO! in a stern voice and leaving the room when she does it. They hate to be ignored, same as dogs and children.
                          When she's quiet and chattering nicely, she gets a peanut.

Keep it up, it does work. Otherwise, you will forever be tense and anxious about their squawking, which they will continue to do as they know it produces treats.

Comment

leylandii has already been discounted tbh, i dont mind some trimming but didnt fancy a constant battle.

we may be going for a climbing plant to climb up the mesh instead as it will be neater and should leave more room for hopefully growing veggies.

i will have to try the reward when quiet thing, thank you

Comment

I had a tayberry, or something similar growing against the wire of my chicken house BUT anything that grew through the wire was eaten by the chooks. So be warned!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X