Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do everyone's hens perch at night??

hi all

just a thought do everyones hens perch at night im wondering? mine have never favoured it they snuggle down together and sleep in the nesting box. this is because when i got them 3 years ago there was a problem with the perch when we were putting together so for the first night they never had one and just snuggled down in the nesting box, when my hubby put the perch in two days later they didnt want to go on it!! they have always slept like this! bit late now i know but just was interested to know if anyone elses favoured the deep straw in the nesting box instead of perch.

We have a mom and her three 19 week old chicks which try to sleep in a nesting box. We've taken to removing the boxes at night to prevent this as they always poop in them.
    Needless to say that they just huddle together in a corner of the shelf instead of perching. As the mom is a banty and the chicks are x banty/light sussex they are actually about the same size as their 'mom'.
    If this warm weather stays we'll block the shelf so hopefully they'll have to perch.
    Actually we DO have a Billy-no-mates which doesn't perch- he sits on top of shelf( on the very cold nights recently he was spottted snuggling up with the mom and 'chicks'

I really must get mine to perch as I want to start 'selling' some of my eggs and they don't look so nice with splodges of poo on them
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

3 perch and the other one uses the nesting box. Plenty of room for her to perch so I guess so just likes some me time! Each to their own I suppose!

Comment

my two do both some nights perch some nights nestting box

Comment

There are a lot of hens who would, given the opportunity, sleep in the nestbox all the time. Some of mine always try it on and I turf them out back on the perches when I go round and shut up. It's not a habit to be encouraged as (unless broody, when they withhold their poo) they will poo in the nestbox which results in dirty eggs unless you muck out the nestbox first thing every morning.

Comment

I have three that need 'nudging' out of the nest box but they do get on the perch if moved at lock up time.

If it wasn't for the poo in the nest box I wouldnt mind.

Comment

Angela, could you please add your location to your profile? As it stands, no-one knows whereabouts you are and this could affect replies to your questions.
              Last edited by rustylady; 18-02-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I have to block our nest box off until they're all well settled for the night or they'd settle down in there. Three sleep on the perch properly but one still prefers to sleep in a corner near the nest box. we pull the blocker out before we go to bed because we have an early morning layer.

A couple of nights last week I did notice that all 4 were on the perch but she must have decided she didn't like it up there or maybe it was particularly cold

Comment

Only when I have a broody. I block the nestbox off when my broody goes broody, otherwise my two earlier layers can't get in !

Comment

all 12 of mine roost in their sheds but not always together.

there was a set of pine shelves left over in one shed which we left and they tend to use 3 of those.

often 3 chickens will be together on one level, 2 more above them and then one skyline on top shelf.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X