pain the """"2 neighbour

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    just to reassure you that Environmental Officers live in the real world and are unlikely to rule against you if you are keeping a few hens as pets in your back garden.
    I complained to EHO about my downstairs neighbour (flats) who played dance music LOUD at 2, 3 or 4am several nights a week. I had a noise diary etc.
    EHO visited neighbour but not me, and found there was no issue ...? His word against mine ...?

I wouldn't be worried
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We complained about our neighbour and EHO set up a noise metre which proved our case.

Comment

Your neighbour has to convince the EHO that there is a 'nuisance', and even if he succeeds in THAT you will only get told to change your system to alleviate the problem.
        While there are laws against causing nuisance to neighbours, there is no law against keeping chooks, as long as you are careful!
        Follow the advice given to minimise nuisance risk, and don't get flustered when the inspector calls (he may well agree that your neighbour is a PITA, and be ready to be sympathetic, but he can't admit this!)
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I have a fussy neighbour aswell. He came round a couple of days after I got them and "investigated" them. He gave me his oh so wise advice which I ooohed and aarghed at in the right places. he then started telling me about how they attract rats, to which I informed him living where we do, we have rats anyway. Always have so that stumped him. he then started telling me how rats team up, lay on their backs and pass the eggs through their feet. To which I imagined some sort of scene out of chicken run!!!! Gave me a good chuckle. Dont worry it'll pass. just allow him his tantrum for a while. he will get over it.
          http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

I've seen this question come up quite frequently on another forum.

The answer is the Allotment act. This act applies to ALL land, not just allotments

12 Abolition of contractual restrictions on keeping hens and rabbits.E+W.(1)Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any lease or tenancy or in any covenant, contract or undertaking relating to the use to be made of any land, it shall be lawful for the occupier of any land to keep, otherwise than by way of trade or business, hens or rabbits in any place on the land and to erect or place and maintain such buildings or structures on the land as reasonably necessary for that purpose: .
            Provided that nothing in this subsection shall authorise any hens or rabbits to be kept in such a place or in such a manner as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance or affect the operation of any enactment.

Allotments Act 1950

Comment

One of our chooks, likes to play the cockeral from time to time. She has been known to wake the neighbours, I always comment on isn't it lovely to hear the sound of a happy chicken.

I wouldn't worry unduly, some people have too much time on their hands, it will pass, and you will no doubt do more things that annoy your neighbour.
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Thanks every one. Spoke to environmental who were actually pleased that we had chickens! As long as every precaution is taken to control any vermin or smell, then they have no problem. They will of course have to investigate any complaint, but told me not to worry.

Comment

i can understand your pain
                  my previous neighbours used to complain and get EHO involved in nearly everything we did, (we were on first name terms) as they were vial nasty people and we went out our way to be nice to them
                  we specifically did not get chickens knowing we would be inundated with complaints...all changed now..both have passed onto to the great moaning room in the sky and our new neighbours are actively encouraging us to get some as the like the thought of free eggs

Comment

When we had cockerels, our (not immediate) neighbours complained on Facebook, they didn't knock on the door and complain, but they did knock on the door for eggs!

About a fortnight after the FB complaint, the deed was done and the noise was no more and then we got a knock on the door to complain about the noise our hens were making at all hours. I was very smug in pointing out that our hens are totally silent at night unless disturbed (and even then they're pretty quiet) so the noise wasn't coming from us.

Turned out a very big (well known) bully from the wee estate over the back had bought 'hens' so he could have his own eggs. He used to try to blag free eggs from us, but we said no, chook costs to cover etc. Anyway, Big Fella got his hens from his mate down the pub, who knew a mate who's mate could get him some birds for free. Six fine lads he had round there......great big bruisers....my goodness, he was in a hurry to get shot of them when he realised he'd been had. He paid £180 for six birds and not a single egg was he going to get.

Jules
                    Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Il probably get told off for this but i can't resist, I think that I would be tempted to tell that miserable neighbour to 'cluck off' hee hee. sorry if i have offended any one!

Comment

Our neighbour had a moan once, but it was hard to hear his complaint over the barking of his wolf like alsatian - lol!

Comment

Dear MMD662, my neighbour complained to Environmental Health about my hens. The chap came and checked my set up and was satisfied that the way I kept them didn't attract rats etc. If you are clean and tidy and your food is kept in a metal bin, its hard to see what there is to complain about. Feeding the birds and compost heaps also attract rats, and few folk complain about them!
                          Good luck!
                          JM

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                            I have a fussy neighbour aswell. He came round a couple of days after I got them and "investigated" them. He gave me his oh so wise advice which I ooohed and aarghed at in the right places. he then started telling me about how they attract rats, to which I informed him living where we do, we have rats anyway. Always have so that stumped him. he then started telling me how rats team up, lay on their backs and pass the eggs through their feet. To which I imagined some sort of scene out of chicken run!!!! Gave me a good chuckle. Dont worry it'll pass. just allow him his tantrum for a while. he will get over it.
                            Goodness, Rat Olympics. Can I come and watch? Some people are so disconnected from reality it's untrue. Ask if he has a bird feeder, a compost bin, a rubbish bin, as all will attract rats if there's something attractive. Never seen one yet around mine but then the Terribles rule the garden, fields and woods.Best advice I ever saw was on a hen forum where a neighbour swore blind to the woman next door that he'd seen they had a rooster. She shouted to her husband "Name, he wants to see your (insert another word for rooster)!" Neighbour went away red faced and no more was it mentioned. They didn't have a rooster BTW!
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Anyone moaning at you about anything ............. Say nothing,just smile politely
                              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                                Goodness, Rat Olympics. Can I come and watch? Some people are so disconnected from reality it's untrue. Ask if he has a bird feeder, a compost bin, a rubbish bin, as all will attract rats if there's something attractive. Never seen one yet around mine but then the Terribles rule the garden, fields and woods.Best advice I ever saw was on a hen forum where a neighbour swore blind to the woman next door that he'd seen they had a rooster. She shouted to her husband "Name, he wants to see your (insert another word for rooster)!" Neighbour went away red faced and no more was it mentioned. They didn't have a rooster BTW!
                                When he told me I did have a good chuckle. Under my breathe of course. Since we have had chickens for 3 weeks he has suddenly started swearing blind that he had a sparrow hawk in his garden and that there were fox footprints in the snow. There wasnt it was prints from a cat that comes through the gardens everyday! Some people aye?!
                                http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X