feather sexing 7 day old chicks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feather sexing 7 day old chicks?

Hi, quick question... can i sex chicks that are 7 days old using the feather method? If so how accurate will it be?
    cheers.
    To really be free, You need to be free in the mind.

I believe that the the main feathers in boy develop faster, in my one hatching(yeah very experienced .. not!) this was the case. I seem to remember that the breed of bird makes a difference too
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

It depends on the breed, what do you have? I am rarely wrong when sexing my own chicks and usually go by a combination of things. Pullets grow the flight feathers and tail feathers faster than boys. If you look at the chick side on a "pointy" wing shape normally says female, a rather blunter shape with all the feathers the same length is more likely to be a cock. But it's not foolproof. I also go by comb size and leg length. If you have a great big blundering chick it's very likely to be a boy. Also boys generally are bolder and easier to tame, girls are shy and more flighty.
      Last edited by RichmondHens; 09-02-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

yay thanks for the rescue RH
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, tbh im not sure what breed they are, i had 24 eggs given to me to incubate (9 hatched) they are from a local small holder who keeps chickens for egg laying. I'll try and find out what breed they are and get back.
          To really be free, You need to be free in the mind.

Comment

There are breeds that are notoriously difficult, for most others the tail at 3-4 days is a reasonable guide. There will always be a chance of the odd 'pansy' cockerel or 'butch' pullet to fool you!
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Any chance of comparing a few piccies?????
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I also go on several signs, my light sussex girls usually start to feather up before the boys, combs size, leg thickness, the way they stand etc. Though I must admit I do mess up sometimes!!

Comment

whereas I give up completely on silkies!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X