Egg incubator

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg incubator

Hi all, I have never hatched eggs before but really like the idea of it and want to give it a try. Is anyone selling a second had incubator, or do you know anyone?, i have been looking on eBay but they are either very big ones or are going for near enough what it would cost brand new. Thanks in advance for any help you may have.

Make sure you know what you will do with the cocks before hatching. My motto is "don't hatch if you can't despatch". I think I give this lecture to newbie hatchers every year - they are probably sick of me but it is important to be a responsible breeder. Chicks are cute for about 2 weeks and cocks can crow as early as 7 weeks (depending on the breed). If you are doing it for the children they do lose interest very fast, the chicks grow their flight feathers in a few days and by about a week old can escape and flutter away from those grabbing little fingers, usually causing lots of tears - trust me, I've been there 1000 times!

In addition to an incubator you will need heat lamp, plus separate accommodation for the chicks until they are about 4 months old. A broody hen is cheaper and more reliable but again you will need separate accommodation for her and the chicks. Your best bet is to contact a local farm college or smallholder society, they usually have these things available for hire.

There is lots of info on here about hatching and raising chicks. Have a good read through and be sure it is what you want before taking the plunge.

Comment

I also love the idea of hatching but wont be giving it a go until I have really well researched it. Although I have a farmer that has chickens and roosters that will always have a home for roosters so that wouldnt be a problem here. I hope you find the answers your looking for adamhartree x
      http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
        Although I have a farmer that has chickens and roosters that will always have a home for roosters so that wouldnt be a problem here.
        Are you sure? Noone wants to feed a load of boys for no return, unless they want them for meat? My record hatch to date is 10 gorgeous silver sussex, 9 of which were boys!

Comment

Yep, there place is more like a zoo as he is a crop farmer not a chicken farmer. They have them more for fun than anything. Along with their turtles etc!!!
          http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Oh I used to have a turtle, he would only eat cat food off a fork!

Comment

Hmm, there are only so many cockerels one can have around the place before they become too much for the hens. If you can't despatch do not hatch. RH's motto is mine too. same goes for ducks- even harder to dispose of drakes as their over mating really does do damage to the females.

Comment

Yeah INCLUDING MUSCOVY DRAKES!! (sorry for shouting, but I know someone who can't bring herself to despatch the muscovy drakes, well until recently, and now they are big and heavy and she's not sure she can physically manage it).
                Cockerels, drakes and (to some extent) ganders are all too easy to have too many of, and the surplus are best eaten!
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Im interested in recommendations for inexpensive, reliable automatic incubators too. One that does half a dozen to a dozen eggs would do me....and yes I intend dispatching ALL of them! My silkies cant hatch enough meat birds for my freezer.............

Comment

Get some LF Orpingtons ...... they can sit on about 12 LF eggs. A couple of those sitting two or three times a year should give you enough meat birds!

Comment

Or Cochins!

Comment

Best incubator other than a hen is a brinsea octagan. Just my opinion. hilary B- Wish i was closer- i am looking for a muscovy drake- it needs to be chocolate mind.

Comment

Not here, unfortunately, even further away, but I get told all about it!

Comment

When I bought mine I couldn't afford the brinsea which are very reliable so I had a corti 25 semi automatic
                            Corti Incubator / Hatcher Perfect Beginners Unit Excellent Results Every Time - Incubators & Hatchers - Corti Product Range - Corti Incubator / Hatcher AF-25 semi automatic - Poultry Equipment including chicken incubator, hen supplies, vermin control
                            I've been using it for about 6 years and I have a very good hatch rate.

Comment

Hilary B muscovy drakes are the very devil to cull- it all gets very kosher/halal in the end.....Its why I am getting a gun....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X