My Hen Can't Stand Up!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hen Can't Stand Up!

Hi all, not been on the board for a while but really need you help.

My 4 year old speckled hen can't stand up, she looks bright other than that, although not laid for a few weeks. Can I assume she's had a stroke? Please help, any advise very much appreciated.

All other hens are fine.

oh no, I am sorry I can be of no help except say I hope she gets better soon. Another grape will be along to advise soon x
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Thanks Jax. Im rather panicky about it.

Comment

Oh dear - they are such a worry aren't they?
        I don't know a lot about chickens- only my own experiences..but...

My first thought would be to check her feet, legs or thighs looking carefully for cuts or swellings. Compare left to right- all the way to the top of the thigh muscle.
        Then, if you squeeze gently whilst feeling for heat, you may find a swollen, sore area indicating she's pulled a muscle/joint.
        It might be something as simple as that- so nip out whilst there's daylight to see and check her over.
        whilst you are at it- check to see if she feels unusually squidgy between her legs.

Also- are her pupil the same size as the other hens? Are her head movements normal?
        What are her poops like?

Just some things worth checking out initially

Don't panic- just take a really close look at her and note anything else unusual.
        Fingers crossed she's jarred her hip/knee when jumping down and she's resting it.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I would go with Nico's and presume she has a fall but can you describe her a little more? Is she parylised, legs sticking out, lying on her side? Or is she hunched up, feathers fluffed up? Any breathing problems, runny eyes, nose etc.

Comment

If she was fine yesterday then I would be inclined to think the same as the others, that it's an injury of some sort. If she is totally immobile I would pop her in a box filled with straw and keep her resting in a dry semi dark place - garden shed or garage, even somewhere quiet in your house as long as she is not bothered by cats, dogs or "helpful" children. You are then in a position to offer her food and drink and monitor how much she takes in - if she really cannot move then she won't be able to feed herself in the run. Given the freezing weather it's going to be easier for you too to have her close by rather than having to keep going outside to check on her.

Sometimes these things will just right themselves but if you can see no improvement at all after a few days a vet trip may be in order.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X