Renting an incubator

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting an incubator

Can any one tell me, or better still recommend, somewhere I can hire an incubator from, please?

If this has come up before I appologise, I did search but couldn't find anything. Thanks
    Last edited by marchogaeth; 28-01-2012, 07:27 PM.
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

TBH, I Just made my own.... there's an old thread of it somewhere on here, try you tube too
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I think this did come up some time ago but as far as I remember the outcome was pretty negative! If you know anyone with an incubator or a breeder locally maybe you could approach them? Or you could try one of the places who sell incubators like P&T Poultry or Flyte so Fancy - they may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
        TBH, I Just made my own.... there's an old thread of it somewhere on here, try you tube too
        Thanks for the input. I've had a look at DIY and I think if I decide to go ahead that's the way I'll go. I like the idea of being able to use the heat lamp before and after.

NB very annoying that having made a typo in the original title I can't now put it right.
        Last edited by marchogaeth; 28-01-2012, 07:31 PM.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Cheaper and more reliable is a broody hen. No need for messing with heat lamps either. If you only want to hatch a few chickens (12 or less) then a hen would be your best bet. Home made incubators are a bit hit and miss, some people have produced really good ones, but the majority have a lot of problems and hassle.

If you haven't hatched before, bear in mind a few things:

Please have a plan for the cockerels - at least 50 % of the hatch will be male. It is almost impossible to rehome them unless they are show quality pure breeds and even then not easy. You will need to be prepared to eat them yourself or pass them onto someone who will. Even if your neighbours don't mind the crowing, a group of boys will soon be fighting the following Spring if not before.

If you are after the cute factor, chicks are only fluffy for about two weeks max, they then feather up and lose their appeal fast. Depending on the breed, cockerels can start to crow as early as 7 weeks (albeit very quietly).

BTW one of the mods will amend your title if you want them to.

Comment

Shame you're not that bit closer.. I've a hen who is pretty much broody permanently!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
              If you haven't hatched before, bear in mind a few things:

Please have a plan for the cockerels - at least 50 % of the hatch will be male. It is almost impossible to rehome them unless they are show quality pure breeds and even then not easy. You will need to be prepared to eat them yourself or pass them onto someone who will. Even if your neighbours don't mind the crowing, a group of boys will soon be fighting the following Spring if not before.
              I really appreciate you posting this I am very hot on people taking responsibility for their animals. I know all about cute and then "We don't want it any more" having rehomed "pet" goats, sheep, horses, rats and hamsters and cats, at least two of whom were just handed in to the rescue centre as "not needed any more" and one who, when he had an upset stomach, pooped on the sofa.

My nearest neighbours are half a mile away but you are right when I chase down the local pea cock I will have something to say!

Actually it's ducks I've been offered as a possible school project but the more I think about it the less attractive it becomes mainly because of weekends.

BTW one of the mods will amend your title if you want them to.
              Someone obviously did, so thanks. I jus always forget to check the title line - it's my second mistake like this although the last one was ignorance!

Thanks Chris, Cardiff is a bit far.

Comment

Your local poultry club may be willing to lend you an incubator, but a broody hen is much much easier!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X