Coop any good?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coop any good?

Im searching the web for chicken coop and was wondering if this would be ok.
    Windsor Poultry House, The Chicken House Company

I would be having 4 hens to start with but will definatly be getting no more than 9! How many chickens would you say will fit into this? i know they can sometimes be a little optimistic!

I know nothing about keeping chickens but it looks nice! 9 seems quite a few as given the dimensions they would each get a 30X30cm square - I know chickens don't naturally stand in lines but you get the idea. Do chickens like to be close? Do they huddle together? I sure someone more knowledgeable and (helpful! ) will be along soon.
    I'd like to keep chickens but our garden is too small and we're not allowed them at the allotment. I wouldn't get there everyday anyone. Something for retirement if the government ever lets me!

Comment

The number of hens will depend on what sort they are. Bog standard hybrids are usually on the smallish side so you could probably fit 5 or 6. It would take 9 bantams no problem. If you wanted Orpingtons or other large breed however then definitely no more than 4 in there.

Construction wise it looks stout enough from the picture but really would depend on what sort of wood was used, pictures can be deceiving. And I'm not a fan of tongue and groove, it harbours red mite too easily. The other issue is it could do with being raised a foot or more off the ground to discourage rats from living underneath, the gap shown doesn't look sufficient. Take a look at Chris Marks' pics on here of his home made house, simple and practical. Perhaps you can put the pic up as a sticky Chris?

Comment

I purchased a CC054 house from these people, am very pleased with it, also was very pleased with the eggs-cellant help and service they provided for a newbie!
        My coop is a quite light construction, but we have weather proofed it and we keep it under a large garden gazebo which so far (2 yrs old) has kept it completley dry.........and dare I say it red mite free.........this may be due to the fact that wild birds can't perch on the house itself....I do dust liberally with red-mite powder every week after mucking out during the summer. (In the cold weather I also put 2 large old heavy blankets on the top........to keep them warm!
        I agree with RH about raising the coop off the floor a bit......also it might be a pain to clean out......the CC054 is very easy and quick to clean,......no bending down!.
        I have 7 medium hens in mine.....plenty of room...........

Comment

As suggested by RH: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tos_62713.html

Thanks for the compliment
          Last edited by chris; 17-01-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

this house looks really sturdy and i love the design! i think that if i was purchasing a new one i would definitely give this one a go. looks really solid and of good quality and very spacious!

Comment

Thanks everyone! Has anybody had any problems with the tounge and groove and the redmite?

Comment

What is the spacing for the average bird (rhode island red hybrid (excommercial))? ive read that it is 3 birds per meter square, around 10 feet. Is that right or could you fit more in that space?
                Thanks!

Comment

Presume you're talking run size? I would put no more than one bird per square metre, especially if it is to be their day to day living space. You could add more if they were to get say a couple or three hours per day free ranging as well. But even if they are ex commercial (some people have an opinion that if they were only used to a little space then they won't want much more which is not my way of thinking) they still require a good deal of room to prevent boredom and stress, stress being an open invitation to illness. Three birds with a good deal of space is better than 10 birds squeezed into that same space. They will be happier and healthier for it.
                  Last edited by RichmondHens; 19-01-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawberry delight View Post
                    Thanks everyone! Has anybody had any problems with the tounge and groove and the redmite?
                    Red mite will get in anywhere. Do not underestimate their power to invade! Any crevice, they will find it. You need to be able to access every nook and cranny in your hen house with repellent/treatment to prevent/treat it. So, the more cracks (ie tongue and groove) the worse job it will be for you.

Comment

yep, in fact if it costs the same get a plastic house- one of those flat pack ones- the mention of red mite reminds me of spending an entire week creocoting chicken houses.......

Comment

Thanks! sorry i wasnt very clear, i was talking about the hut size. Thanks!

Comment

..I only use tongue and groove for broody houses, as they're not in them for as long as the big coop. I do prefer T&G, it is warmer and sturdier than ply, but as RH says, the dreaded red mite would LOVE it. And be almost impossible to eradicate!

Comment

Quality ply (including 'shuttering' grade) is stronger than 'standard' T&G. I haven't had reason to make a chicken-home since I discovered OSB (Sterling Board, it was about 15 years ago now) but would go for that, painted inside and out with bituminous paint, if I was making one now.
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawberry delight View Post
                              Thanks! sorry i wasnt very clear, i was talking about the hut size. Thanks!
                              You need to allow about a foot per bird of perching space. They will all snuggle up together most of the time but in hot weather they need enough space to spread out a bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X