Bleeding foot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding foot

This morning I noticed that one of my new ex-batts had some blood on her feet - not too much, just a smear or two. After checking the others over to see if she'd clawed any of them (the flock integration has been somewhat lively...) I then realised that the back claw on her foot was the source of the blood. It looks like she's somehow ripped the claw part out and it still seems to be bleeding. The garden is damp and muddy so I'm concerned about infection so I've put her into a box and tried to clean it up but I'm worried about hurting her further. Is this a vet job? I think there's one close by who treat chickens - in nearly 2 years of chicken keeping it will be the first time there!
    come visit a garden
    or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Just give it a good wash to get any mud/muck off and give the wound a blast of antiseptic spray. It will be difficult to keep it totally clean even if she's in a box as she will tread in her own poo. Your best bet is to cover the foot with a small sock tied on securely and return her to the flock. Once the wound has dried and scabbed over you can remove the sock (prob in a couple of days).

Comment

Ooh RH I sense a dragons den idea there...cute henny hosiery...
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Thanks RH - off to brainstorm a small sock substitute. Bit of a shortage of those in our 2-adult household...
        come visit a garden
        or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by perkin View Post
          Thanks RH - off to brainstorm a small sock substitute. Bit of a shortage of those in our 2-adult household...
          Tubegauze would probably do it - you know the stuff they wrap fingers in at A&E? Or horse bandage which grips and sticks to itself

Comment

Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
            Tubegauze would probably do it - you know the stuff they wrap fingers in at A&E? Or horse bandage which grips and sticks to itself
            Yes, anything like that. Really just anything which will let the wound breathe a bit but keep the muck out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X