No announcement yet.

considering getting chickens any advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would never advise anyone to buy a chicken house from any of the 'usual' suppliers, they all seem to use boards (shiplap or tongued and grooved) and ply or OSB is much superior as it has less joins; joins are where redmite will lurk given half a chance. Read all the thread about redmite and how to prevent it, BEFORE deciding on a house. Cheap sheds can be conmverted (but beware of the redmite problem) and will hold a lot more chooks than a 'purpose made' house of similar price!
    When it comes to breed/type, get something you fancy, get 3, and once the bug has truly 'got' you, add some rescued ex-commercial hens, do your bit for chook welfare!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

The local vets are asking for volunteers for rehoming ex-bats but I wanted to wait and have a few health chicken first and get used to them. Not sure on house yet having a look round.
      http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

Try to get someone to make you a coop if possible. My DH built ours on stilts which means vermin can't hide underneath. The actual coop doesn't have to be that big as the hens will often all squash together on one perch anyway. Although be prepared for adding to your flock as keeping chickens is very addictive! Bought coops are not always very strong or worth the money. The size of the run is more important or if they are going to free range how safe they are from preditors. I started with 6 ex-batts but only have one left now. 9she is 5 though) I also have a Welsummer (pretty but not many eggs) and 3 assorted Hybrids that lay well. If you look on Leighvale poultry website there is a selection of hybrids that are available from other places too. I would start with 3 and add another 2 or 3 much later. If you get 6 all at once they age all at the same time and will probably moult at the same time too which means eggs get scarce at that time. Most of all enjoy.

Comment

I got one of these ............ Chicken Coop: The Dorset .... then took the end out & added a decent length run & sheltered eating area
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I made our coop from a design that Chrismarks suggested.
            It's on here somewhere and is made from a piece of plywood, roofing sheet and some 2x3 timber. It's on legs so that no critters can hide underneath and I adapted it a bit and have a removable roost bar, which together with the drop down front, makes it a breeze to keep clean.
            takes 4 hens here, but would serve for at least 1 more as they squash up one end of the roost bar anyway.
            I had the timber and ply around the place anyway so it was very economical.
            Spent the cash on making a secure run for them and covered it so the wood chippings don't get wet and smelly.
            Had great fun with the girls - more than I imagined, and only just having my first hen based crisis, so I think it's a great thing to do.
            I have 4 different hybrids, with slightly different colour eggs, so I know which ones laid which.
            Sad really......

David

Comment

I'd say, if you can make your coop, make it so you can get in it, or at least partially in it to clean it. Mine has two big doors over the whole front so it opens right up for brushing out, hosing down, spraying and drying etc. Its a right pain if you only have a teeny door for access....good luck!! :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X