Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood in coop - bit of a mystery

Hi everyone.

Strange occurance today. I went out to lock up tonight - headtorch on as usual so I can give them a quick once over and noticed blood on the coop floor. Its in small patches in a few places - not mixed in with poo, just clean fresh-ish blood.

I've checked eveyone and cannot find any injuries or obvious signs of trauma. Nobody even has a dirty bum never mind a blood stained one.

I wondered if it was a wattle or comb injury that had healed quickly??

very strange - has this happened to anyone else? I might add they are all in rude health right now, fab new feathers, eating me out of house and home!

Polo

My cockerel had a comb injury where he'd tried to stick his head through the mesh. It healed up very quickly. Might be worth giving them all a 'once over' in daylight.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I found some blood on one of the perches a few weeks ago. No signs of injury but guess someone had cut a foot which had sealed up by morning. I think maybe they squabble for perch position too so maybe someone has a small cut you couldn't see?

Comment

I think with hens anything is possible! Thanks Snadge and Sue. Must look properly in daylight tomorrow although with the gales forecast it wont be fun!!!

Comment

It is probably a wattle or comb injury - they can bleed quite profusely from a tiny nick then heal very quickly. Nothing to worry about. I went out the other day to find one of my LS hens with blood all over her head - she had either been pecked very hard or had caught her comb on the fence. Anyway it didn't seem to bother her and she has healed incredibly quickly with no intervention from me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X