Want to get chickens!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to get chickens!

Last year himself built chicken pen in garden with a view to eggs. Excellent thing but then discovered that Elderberries are poisonous to chucks. Elderberry tree grows over said chicken pen.

So ok this winter gonna chop down aforementioned tree. Obviously no chucks as yet. Also have 3 cats and a dog none of which will be able to get into pen but will be able to pull faces and make noises along the lines of 'I was here first, what are you, who are you, where do you stand in the pecking order and are you tasty enough for me to have a go?' All rescued, beloved and mostly well behaved. Himself has experience of raising chucks as a kid with his dad. I have not pleasant memories of being raised with turkeys for the christmas market. As in my grandad had to swipe one with a spade before he went for me as a toddler. Not keen on turkey anyway.

So eggs would be great but is it feasable to raise chucks for the table too? Himself can do the neck thing but I am always worried that I will do it wrong and cause needless suffering. Yes it's a cop out but am willing to learn. We have a good sized adaptable garden. Times are tough so don't want to venture into something that is going to turn out to be a hobby in financial terms, but then not expecting it to be cheap as chips at the same time.

What are your thoughts?

First of all elderberries are NOT poisonous to chooks. Mine feast on them each year with no ill effects beyond wondrously black poo! And an elder bush in the run will provide welcome shade on hot days. Don't chop it down.

Secondly, don't run before you can walk. Get a few egg layers first, see how you get on with the day to day routine. Beyond feeding, watering and mucking out you will need to worm, de-louse and do general health checks on a regular basis. After you are happy with dealing with layers, then you can either try and hatch some meat birds or buy in youngsters to fatten.

Have a good read of various threads on here which cover most subjects from first chickens to raising them for meat. Don't take on too much too soon. Be comfortable with what you can and can't achieve. Don't keep too many birds in a small space. Most average gardens have space for no more than 10 - 12 birds and many a lot less than that. Try and rotate ground. One pen in use all year round is not really ideal. Better to split the area in half and rotate season by season.

I could go on ad nauseum (!!) but do your research carefully and you should have a happy time keeping chooks.

Comment

I have a elder tree too in my chook run.
      Mine have lived with it for 3 years with no ill effects, and certainly sit in /under it in the summer and when it's raining.

You got me worried there for a sec donnakebab- phew- thanks RH!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for that. I think I read in this magazine that elderberries were poisonous. Glad they aren't as was worried about the shade issue. Also saves a lot of hard work and a lovely honeysuckle that has intertwined with it. Was only going to start off with about 4 layers and do as you say. See how we get on with them. Like I said the garden is a good size and adaptable so can provide different areas for rotation (if that's the right word).

Comment

Mine love elderberries. Not sure about honeysuckle tho?? Ive got my first lot of meat birds growing. Ive sourced someone who will humanely kill and dress at a price. Im going to use him til Im sure I have the stomach for it, then I will go on one of his courses. I keep the meaties at the lottie and spend about 10 mins a day with them otherwise Big Roastie would be coming home for good :-( So just bear that in mind. Meat birds are just as cute as laying hens if not more so as they seem to have that docile temprament much like ex batts.............

Comment

Hmm, honeysuckle, not sure either. However, I do have a fair few toxic plants in my garden and the hens dont touch any of them.

As RH says, go slow with a small number of egg layers first. Much easier to take on more hens over time than to realise you got too many. That was my first lesson - should have got 3 new so that I could add new hens every year.

Good luck !

Comment

I've just been reading that some honeysuckle is poisonous to hens- but not all varieties.
              When in doubt......

( it also said elderflower IS poisonous - as is clover ( my run is about 40% clover- and they're still alive and kicking.)
              Bit confusing isn't it??????
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think there are a lot of things which are toxic if fed in quantity, but not a problem if the birds help themselves to the occasional beakful out of curiosity when generally well fed.
                Buttercups are toxic to grazers, but I kept goats for years without the occasional munch of buttercup doing them any harm.....
                HUNGRY hens (or goats) may eat enough to hurt them...
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Now I'm confused so I'm going to assume that if they have plenty of nutritious non toxic food they will ignore other stuff after initial curiosity. Does that sound reasonable? Can't find the smiles...where are they?

Comment

I think they'd have to be starving before they ate stuff that was harmful. Smilies can be accessed if you scroll down to bottom left of page

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                      First of all elderberries are NOT poisonous to chooks. Mine feast on them each year with no ill effects beyond wondrously black poo! And an elder bush in the run will provide welcome shade on hot days. Don't chop it down.
                      Glad you said that, as I'd planted an Elder bush in the garden mine are in

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                        Can't find the smiles...where are they?
                        Under the quick reply box,bottom right,click the "Go Advanced" tab
                        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Oooooooh!

Thanks

Comment

So what do you reckon is the best time of year to start and should I get rescue cage hens or what? I have a fair amount of literature but I thought you guys probably know best. I think we have had our first frost this morning gonna check in a minute after finishing first cup of tea.

Comment

If you are after instant eggs get three or four POL hybrids early Spring. Give yourself the winter off. It's dark, cold and yes today it is frosty. Did my "rounds" at 6.30 ish today, just starting to get light, chickens poked heads out of doors as if to say, surely it's not time to get up yet mum?

Unless you are prepared for the odd casualty, or hens that may have other problems, I would steer clear of ex batts until you have a bit more experience. They need a bit of TLC and a recovery period when they first "come out".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X