Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do chooks moult just when it's getting so coooollllddd?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do chooks moult just when it's getting so coooollllddd?

I don't understand, I've aways thought Nature was wonderful... but where's the logic in chickens losing their feathers just when the weather is starting to get so cold?? My poor maran looks like a badly plucked turkey in Asda, and she's really miserable .
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

It is said they moult as the trees lose their leaves. It's just the way wonderful mother nature works, ie. when egg laying stops and their feather production doesn't interfere with the egg lay cycle I suppose. It is a bit like wearing your bikini in Siberia though
    Mealworms and protein. Am giving mine warm porridge too. All stuff suggested by the eggsperienced on here.
    Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 18-11-2011, 05:15 PM.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Its a hormonal thing too so maybe its when the days shorten and the pineal gland (I think!) doesn't get the light needed to stimulate egg production? Doesn't explain the ones who moult in middle of summer though so maybe I'm talking thro me hat!

Comment

Oh gosh - tell me we don't have to go through this twice a year. I could have stuffed two new pillows with what's been shed already
        Sage lost tail feathers today - think they're the last ones to go aren't they? Do you rate the Total Moult Solutions stuff Suechooks? I have given Poultry Spice which she doesn't seem keen on...
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

2 moults a year! Oh no, poor things . Dotty (maran) lost her tail feathers first, and has lost most of the rest of her feathers during the day. Well large blocks of feathers anyway. She looks frozen! Might try mealworms VVG, but will have to be the dried ones, can't face the thought of wriggly ones, yuk. Discovered they like sardines today.. is it OK to give them fish?? Don't see why not, but thought I should check... Some of them quite like porridge, but they get all sticky so one or two of them prefer not to eat it. But it's nice and easy to spread around so everyone gets some, which is good .

Comment

Tuna I think SC said. My birds wipe their beaks after porridge - they are so polite!

Mine have dried mealworms

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              Tuna I think SC said. My birds wipe their beaks after porridge - they are so polite!

Mine have dried mealworms
              Maybe it's any oily fish then, that's good . Mine wipe their beaks after porridge too, it's really funny isn't it lol .

Comment

Yes I like their little quirks and we are watching one of the world's oldest survivors. I find chooks fascinating...

Comment

So do I. Funny people, aren't they

Their moult, however, isn't exactly what nature would have designed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think all wild birds moult much more elegantly, losing a feather here and a feather there, replacing them one by one over a period of time so they don't lose their ability to fly (and hunt, escape or find food) or keep warm.
                  Nor did nature ever intend a bird that lays 200 and more eggs in one season... or hens that never go broody.
                  ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

hi all, my chook is just coming out of a moult. i gave her dried mealworms and also small amounts of cat food which has helped with the protein.
                    its a long process though! all should try the dried jumbo mealworms they are big and look juicy but i am not tempted to try lol!!!

Comment

Mmm, food for thought nellie-m.. I also wondered whether it has anything to do with the fact that chickens originated from Chile was it? In the southern hemisphere anyway? So our winter would be their summer, and the moult might seem more logical... But then you'd expect them to evolve, or readjust really wouldn't you? It seems really unfair on them doesn't it, poor little things.

Comment

Two of mine are going through a drastic moult to, poor Betty looks almost oven ready! They haven't all moulted though and they are the same age which I find odd. I'm amazed at how quickly the new feathers are coming back ,the quills are poking through after a couple of days.
                        My lot go mad for mealworms and they do the beak wiping after porridge too. Maybe I should provide napkins!!
                        Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Chooks are descended from an Asian Jungle Fowl. Nature would probably prefer them to moult just a bit earlier in the year, so that they have brand new feathers just as it is getting cold. Some species of wild birds moult gradually, retaining flyability, others moult all at one go, and I have no idea which would be natural for the closest wild cousins of chooks.
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Angelat - when you feed your chickens cat food, do you give them the dry stuff or the stuff in pouches or tins? I've tried mine on the dry stuff and they don't eat it - the ones who pick it up just spit it out again, and I've tried soaking it to make it softer like their pellets (which they also won't eat unless soggy..), but the cat food won't go soft. Found out the dog likes it though - won't eat dog food unless it has cat food in it now lol .

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                              chickens originated from Chile was it?
                              India - Red Jungle Fowl. Here's an interesting article on them, and if you don't know that "feathersite" yet, it's well worth a visit anyway!
                              http://www.feathersite.com//Poultry/NDG/RJFbySPPA.html

It seems really unfair on them doesn't it, poor little things.
                              It does indeed! Some don't even leave the coop and stay indoors...
                              But after all, this chicken tradition is so old, it can't be all wrong!
                              ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X