when will my chickens start to lay?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when will my chickens start to lay?

hi, i have brought 3 hens today,(ranger,moran and white leghorn) they are all 23 weeks old. i was wondering when will they start to lay now.any advice about it would be great.

I love it when you log on and find a question you want the answer to!

I bought mine about three weeks ago (red rocks, bluebells and speckledy's, I bought two of each) - they were 19 weeks at the time, so now they are about 22 weeks or so and still no eggs.

OH keeps threatening that if they are 'duff' he'll eat them

(hopefully he's joking).

But I don't know what to do now. So I shall be watching this with interest.

Comment

The bulk of my flock have just went 'off lay' and i ain't expecting eggs til about February with those?

Four young hens have just came 'on lay' and i'm hoping they will keep me going with eggs during the winter period.

In a nutshell, yours could possibly come on lay but its more likely they will wait until the spring now.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As Snadger said, given the time of year, and the fact that you're upside down and going into winter, you've a chance that they'll wait now until spring (unlike here, they'll be going off laying as it's getting too hot ) Depends also a lot on the breeds, Some of mine waited until nearly 30 weeks to start laying others started at 16-18 weeks. Hang in there and enjoy their antics and let them settle right in and before you know it, they'll be treating you to lovely eggs. The first is truely something special. You decided yet how you gonna cook the first?
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Any youngsters bought now will probably not lay till January. The light levels are dropping fast and this is what influences laying . However, as the days start to lengthen a little come mid January you will start to see laying picking up again.

Comment

They usually start to lay at around 26 weeks some earlier and some later. However as Snadger and Red Thorn say the time of year may well affect them and delay laying.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Best I don't put any Paxo in the cupboard

Comment

I asked the same thing when I bought mine just over a year ago. Mine did start to lay (all hybrids) and laid right through winter which was great. They're slowing down a bit now, and hey ho one has gone broody again. You may be lucky

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X