Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chick deformity-legs

Hey,
    Just had the first hatchings, Shetlands, French Copper Marans and Silkies.
    (11 out of 13)

I had a staggered hatching with couple of days between hatchings (with last lot due today!!)

Noticed one chick (shetland)was having problems,one of its legs was at right angles to its body, when moving it looked as though was making angels in the snow- you know brushing leg around floor but not going no where.
    First of all I thought it had got splaid legs from possibly slipping in the incubator. I gave it a couple of days to see how it was getting on, then seeing no improvement I thought it best to cull it.
    I autopsied it's legs as one felt strange, the muscle on the inside thigh hadn't developed, and from the 'knee' to foot was longer than the other one.

In the 2nd batch I had a chick (maran) whose leg was stuck out behind it! I have a wooly hat in the brooding area and it spent a couple of days in there I kept putting its leg back under it when it was laid down, woke yesterday to find it up and about with the others walking normally!!!

In the 3rd batch (silkie) came out and was as though it couldn't balance, its head was jittering about, it was wobbling and couldn't pick up its front half, and when put up right it just fell on one side! Once again, I put it into the hat for a couple of days and last night left it out of the hat with all the other chicks,( thinking it either rights itself or if not I would be culling it today), and this morning to my suprise there it is upright, running about with the others, feeding and drinking!!

Is it a magic hat?? !!
    Or is giving chicks a chance better than just wrighting them off and culling them striaght away?

Probably - the latter - lucky chicks.

Comment

Liz
      Keep the hat!
      It's obviously blessed with magical healing properties
      Rat
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Liz, can I borrow your hat? I have a dodgie back and could do with a magic cure.
        Jax

Comment

Magical Hat?!?!?!?

Hey,
          The hat hasn't worked on me!!
          First day the snows were bad, what did my silkie do?? Turned broody!!! What a dosey mare!!!

Comment

Silkies do that sort of thing at the most inopurtune moment!!
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X