Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and finally...

Finally the run extention.

A 2'x4' run may be ok for two hens but I allwasys intended to get a couple more so...

The run extention is not quite as I planed, I ran out of wood!

The actual size is 4'1" (the width of the open gates) by 6', it is constructed with the same timber as before (2"x1") but is not quite as strongly built. I may add diagonal bracing later. The wire is 25mm chicken wire and as before it has been stretched and stapled in place. The house and run as a whole would be very awkward to move so having the run detachable does make life easier. For security I do fix the run in place with tent pegs.

Only the one photo at the moment - will get more when the rain stops!

The green feeders are from Eglu - the wire sides have a small hole cut (4 strands by 1 strand) which I then folded down, the eglu feeders fit perfectly and being off the ground are far less likely to get fouled by the fowls! (sorry!)

So that is the complete project, now happily occupied by two birds Marie and Blackie. Todays news is that I collected two new birds (currently in the old ark) a Lavender Araucana and a Black and White Leghorn, both light breeds so smaller that the other two but with (hopefully) blue and white eggs respectively. I will post on other threads about them.

I will try to answere any question you may have and look forward to any comments you make!

P.S. The colour was chosen by Hazel - It took me a few days to get used to it!
    Attached Files
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Terry that looks absolutely fantastic, you must be very proud of yourself. Your woodworking skills are also fantastic. Well done!
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thank you Jennie, I rather thought it was a bodge job myself! Nice to have people say it looks good!

Should anyone want to duplicate it, I am happy to offer any advice I can, I think it was worth the work and being allegic to the wire does make life hard, but it is so much easier to clean than the ark that I am pleased with the result.

I have still to make the winter run, which will be smaller, so that the whole house and run will go on our patio for the worst months of the year.

Terry
        Last edited by TPeers; 10-05-2007, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Natty blue you've chosen there. Now, Richard can't moan at that! ...it looks very hansome in the garden. well done Terry. I'd still like to see a photo of the trap wire but I think i've got the idea. Thanks again for this, I have my work cut out now! Do let me know if there is any refinments you would make next time.

Is it uncomfortable for chooks to have wire on floor of a run? To stop the foxes digging in?

Comment

Does this show what you need Paulottie?

The wire is 3mm diametre.
            Attached Files

Comment

I don't think wire on the floor would be a problem, I didn't as my garden is not exactly level and smooth and I was concerned about areas where there would be gaps beween the wire and the ground.

Also as I plan to move the entire thing onto the patio in winter I didn't want rust stains on the patio from slowly corroding wire!

Someone on one of the hen threads asked about hens putting themselves to bed - yes they do, at dusk or there abouts, they scramble up the ramp quite happily. I just have to 'raise the drawbridge' after they go to bed and get up to lower it in the morning.

Terry

Comment

Hi Terry,
                Don't think I explained myself too well

My garden not exactly flat either -that's what conserns me is a fox being able to dig under it.

I didn't mean a photo of the wire more the rigging! but reall I've worked out the hook and eye thing. Also give me a chance to get on the lathe too!- I'm a big enthusiast like the Other-Half.

I also meant- is there a hole/contraption that a chicken can get through and not a fox? so if we are away for the evening, or the fox got in the pen, it could not then get into the house as well as the chickens.

I have put an extra perch in the pen at the moment and the girls just love it.

How are the new ones settling in. I'd love to see a photo of the chilean one sometime...blue eggs eh!

Comment

Does this help?
                  Attached Files

Comment

The new ones are getting bullied - the little Araucana is hiding in the house and won't come out! Poor little Kiev!

Kentucky is ok, she is big enough to hold her own - noisy thing though. I can see why the cartoon hen is Foghorn!

Comment

Terry

The new house looks fab!!!! You are so clever, I could never in a million years do that!!!! Wouldnt know where to start, and my domestic skills are somewhat lacking too!!!

Last week OH threatened to send me for 'retraining'!!!!!

Tracey
                      8 chickens, 1 Whippet and a small garden

Comment

am SO impressed, what you have done is completely beyond me! OH could do it... but then house is also falling down, so best he concentrates on that eh!

Comment

Thanks for the complements - but really it wasn't that hard!

Then again ask me to wire a socket and I haven't a clue and have to look it up each time! So I suppose, each to their own. I was raised in a house where the men are all thumbs and the ladies do the DIY, Mum and I rebuilt the kitchen over a summer holidays one year, all the cupboards, pan racks, the lot. Mum is much better at woodwork that I will ever be!

Terry

Comment

Terry, now that your great project has been occupied for some time are there any improvements you would make if you did it again? Only asking so that I can copy and learn from your experiences.
                            Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Well impressed Terry! I hesitate putting up a shelf or picture, I wouldnt know where to start with a project like that (and my dad was a carpenter!)
                              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hi Digger-07, yes a couple of things - the handles on teh ends so that I can lift the house and move it are a little small and cramp my hand - chose ones that are wide enough!

Hazel managed to break one of the gates - so they need to be stronger - possibly a double bar at the bottom with screws from the side as well as underneath might help and the gates rub on the ground which can make it hard to move them - they could do with being maybe half a centimetre short of the ground. That way they would still shut up against the frame work but swing open more easily.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X