egg bound chicken-tips for the vet

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• egg bound chicken-tips for the vet

I have a egg bound chicken 3-4th day, i can feel the egg tried warm baths,vaseline on the vent but still no joy.

made a appointment to see the vet, i am not to sure what his like with chicken, can anyone suggest anything tips i can pass onto him!
    Last edited by jimred; 21-03-2011, 09:55 AM.

If the egg is really too big to pass out whole, it will have to be broken. Then you need to ensure all the egg is removed and antibiotics provided to prevent infection. But you never know, with careful manipulation the vet might be able to get it out. Good luck.

Comment

thanks alot

Comment

I wondered how they'd get a massive egg out, if it's stuck. I had an eggbound bird once, when I used to keep birds - vet basically said there was nothing he could do, breaking it would surely kill her (these weren't chickens though - so don't panic!). That vet was rubbish, treated our dog at the time with such disrespect. Really wish I'd have changed vets - but being a kid back then, I was limited with my options!

keep us posted!
        Last edited by chris; 21-03-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Gosh- my first thought was- that if you need to give your vet advice then I'd be looking for a different vet!

To be fair- it might be worth mentioning to the vet/ receptionist before you go what the problem is so they can brush up on their reading/talk to their partners if needs be.
          If they don't regularly treat chooks/birds it's a bit unfair to put them on the spot

good luck- do let us know how you get on.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Actually- thinking about it- I think my vets would pee themselves laughing if I turned up with a chook

( Brits abroad n all that!)
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My vet gave mine a calcium injection and antibiotics for a broken egg. The calcium help stimulate muscle contractions and helps the hen to expel everything.

Good luck

Polo

Comment

The vet said it was nothing to worry about yet, but if shes still egg bound bring her back Thursday.

the vet gave us some tonic powder to give to her, shes now feeding a bit
                Last edited by jimred; 22-03-2011, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X