Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on this chicken house please...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this chicken house please...

Unfortunately I am beginneing to think my homemade coop is not good enough for the chickens I am getting this weekend so am now looking at one of these houses plus runs. What do you guys think of this any comments good or bad?

Looks good. For how many hens? You might have to put on a mesh floor to stop foxes.
    What's wrong with the current house through? Seems a shame to spend money when you already have one - maybe we can help you resolve issues with the current coop?

Comment

The current house is a converted dog kennel with a box extension. In total it's 1180mm long, 600mm wide, the kennel is 711mm high to the apex of the roof and the box extension is 460mm high with a flat roof. I have two perches installed in the box extension (roosting height available 410mm - is this enough?) and the converted kennel will be a nesting area (2ft x 2ft). In total its about 7ft squared

I'm hoping to get 2-3 hens.

Comment

I would see how they get on in the one you have built before spending out on a ready made one. That run looks very small anyway. Chances are anything you build will last much longer than a ready made one anyway - they are usually pretty flimsy.

Comment

The size of the run doesn't really matter as they will have a large fenced area to roam around in.

Will a height of 410mm be enough for the birds to perch?

Comment

Mine perch at a similar height - it doens't have to be high, my friends coop is probably about 4 inches off the floor.. I pref mine a bit higher, so I can clean easily under it without taking the perch out (i.e. get rid of the poo before I do the weekly clean)... during that I take the perch out and make sure it's clean/free of mites.

Or do you mean 410mm above their heads? Again, mine have a similar amount above their heads - they tend to rest down on their breast bone too when perching, although that said I did catch one of mine (who laid the huge egg) on one leg on the perch... I suspect that may have had something to do with it though.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              Mine perch at a similar height - it doens't have to be high, my friends coop is probably about 4 inches off the floor.. I pref mine a bit higher, so I can clean easily under it without taking the perch out (i.e. get rid of the poo before I do the weekly clean)... during that I take the perch out and make sure it's clean/free of mites.

Or do you mean 410mm above their heads? Again, mine have a similar amount above their heads - they tend to rest down on their breast bone too when perching, although that said I did catch one of mine (who laid the huge egg) on one leg on the perch... I suspect that may have had something to do with it though.
              Yeah I mean 410mm above their heads - the perch is about 50-60mm off the floor.

Comment

I would have thought that would be ok - unless you're getting massive birds!

Comment

Sorry what I meant was from the top of the perch to the roof its 410mm - sorry for the confusion and all the questions!?

Comment

Mine don't even perch so don't expect too much! I have to throw them out of the nest box at 7 every night and then they huddle in one of the corners!

Steve

Comment

Yep, it'll be fine as the others have said! My perch is I think 14" off the floor, and they've around 15/16 inches above their heads.. but I don't have a roof built yet

Comment

Unsure where your located as your profile does not say but if your looking at that particular supplier then be aware they are in what looks like Southern Ireland as price in Euros etc and shipping to Uk mainland would be as much again

Comment

I have an old dog kennel with side nesting boxes attached as a chicken house for the past 5 months now and I would say that unless the roof lifts off it can be really difficult to clean out, I have now obtained another that the roof is on a hing and can be opened for daily cleaning.

Comment

A very good point CC, I have a temp house with a door rather than the whole side opening up and its much harder to clean out. I've seen them with a hinged roof though, that could be good! (too windy here for hinges tho'!)
                            Good luck and try out your kennel first A, if it has any downpoints you'll know what to avoid if you decide you need a bought one. but homemade are usually MUCh stronger for the price.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X