chicken advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chicken advice

I have been offered 9 chickens aged between 2 and 3 years old will they are still laying will i be having a look at them tomorrow.
    they are a mixed bunch if i take them i will have to make more room.
    I just cant say no

sorry i forgot the question lol
    will they lay for much longer (or is that how long is a piece of string question)

Comment

Are they hybrids or purebred birds?

Comment

I dont know yet will be having a look later

Comment

I think that may make a difference, with hybrids being bred to lay (as you probably already know). I think - may be wrong - that hybrids can live on average to 4/5, but their egg productions drops after their first year of laying.. so I guess if you're happy in the fact that you can give them a good life and accept that they may not lay everday?

That said though - I think I was reading RH's blog (or someone simialr) with a very old bird (I seem to remember 8 ?)

Comment

I think my first question would be why are they getting rid of them?
            It makes a difference if they are 2 years old or 3 years old especially if they're hybrids! If you've got the space then fine but if you're limited and want them for eggs then take a step back and THINK!

Comment

weve just been to see them and the bloke hasnt got time for them anymore i think thete are some rir, amber stars and a few black and white ones.
              He did say that he thinks they have red mite but hasnt treated them so my oh ever the soppy one said we will take them in a week.
              we have the room for them (seperate pen my oh has learn his lesson ) and we need to get a bigger coop.
              I shall top up on all treatments (just incase)
              if they are going into a new coop will the red mite come with them???
              I shall be spraying coop with smite anyway but i was just curious

Comment

They shouldn't have red mite as it lives in the coop but a bad infestation can be carried on the birds. If he hasn't bothered to treat it you need to be careful they don't come with any other passengers as well. Sounds like he hasn't time and can't be bothered. I'd put Respite in the water, Diatom in the coop and dust bath, Flubenvet in their food, louse powder (or you could use Frontline spray if you like) all over them now and in a week, and keep them well away from your other birds for 2 weeks at least. Thats what I've done with my rescued Silkies.
                I'd spray the coop with Smite each morning or at least under the perches and perch rests.
                Good luck

Comment

thanks sue, mmy oh said he will pop round in the week and ask if he can start treating them now.
                  my chooks had red mite earlier in the year and its such a pain to get rid off still i like a challange

Comment

i'd creocote the new coop now to give it time to dry out for a couple of days,the mites dont like it and will have nowhere to hide!I would still diatom and smite the coop and dust the chooks on arrival and in a week,you can't be too careful with the little red devils
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

If you can get them up to full health then there is no reason why they shouldn't continue to lay for at least another couple of years, although the hybrids may stop sooner than the pure breeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X