Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quickest/Easiest/Fastest Way to Dispatch?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am lucky and have a friend who is a Ministry meat inspector. He has said if I ever decide to hatch eggs and get cockerels, he will have them killed and dressed for a share of the birds.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Broomshank for me also unless they are young uns where wringing there necks is quite easy.
      On the subject of air pistols, the neighbour caught a rat in a cage and went o kill it with an air pistol. It took six slugs to kill it! I personally would forget about the air pistol!

Make sure you explain to the cockerels WHY you've got to do the deed as you take them away from the rest of the chooks. If you talk to them calmly and make no rushed movements it not only calms them down but it calms you down.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

There's a few videos about culling and preparing a bird on youtube... not sure how humane it is but a lot of the americans in the videos hang the bird upside down and slit either side of the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Make sure you explain to the cockerels WHY you've got to do the deed as you take them away from the rest of the chooks. If you talk to them calmly and make no rushed movements it not only calms them down but it calms you down.
          We've been telling the beggars for weeks why they have to go.....albeit not very calmly sometimes!

We've read up on the broomstick method, looks like this weekend with be the date for the dreaded deed.

Jules
          Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I now have an electric stunner and a slaughtermans license so anyone around the South Devon area wanting poultry "done" let me know.

Comment

Sorry, should have said in case anyone thinks I'm advertising. I will happily do G.Y.O.'s poultry for free if in localish area. It's quick, and stress free.

Comment

I use the broomstick method quick and strength wise easy. It is part of the neccesity of keeping poultry

Comment

Originally posted by fishpond View Post
                  Take them to your local butcher, ring him/her up first.
                  Good idea if you really can't bear the thought of doing it yourself. Our local butcher takes GYO birds. You can just deliver them (live) in a box and they stun and despatch, pluck and gut and give you back an oven ready bird, all for a small fee of course, but very useful if you don't fancy/cannot do the deed yourself.

Ask around Jules, I'm sure you will find someone who can do it for you. Offer a free bird in exchange for their duties.

Comment

Air pistols have only half the power of an air rifle (assuming you are talking about the ones that don't need any kind of licence) and we once made the mistake of trying to kill a drake with an air rifle. Shot at a range of about 3 ft (the closest we could get when they had ecaped the pen), he didn't even seem to notice it until the 3rd shot, then we were able to catch him and use a broomstick. I can quite emphatically advise against an air pistol!
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

my grandad taught me to use a fishermans priest,hold bird upside down until fairly quiet and strike on the back of the neck(by the head)snaps the neck,all over very quick,granny gave him plenty of earache for teaching me,but he said he was taught at 8 too..end of arguement..

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                        Air pistols have only half the power of an air rifle (assuming you are talking about the ones that don't need any kind of licence) and we once made the mistake of trying to kill a drake with an air rifle. Shot at a range of about 3 ft (the closest we could get when they had ecaped the pen), he didn't even seem to notice it until the 3rd shot, then we were able to catch him and use a broomstick. I can quite emphatically advise against an air pistol!
                        We've been discussing the 'deed' endlessly.

The air pistol bit has now been shelved - we did think it might have been good for stunning prior to decapitation or exsanguination. DD has looked up her anatomy book and found the weakest part of a chicken skull, but we still aren't convinced that it can do a clean instant stun.

I've (w)racked my brains but I can't think where there is a local butcher or poulterer near us. Which is a shame. Yellow pages doesn't yield much info either. Although searching Google for 'poulterer' is very interesting. They were ten a penny a hundred years ago....

Whichever way we do it, we are going to be thankful to be rid of our Rhode Island Red bully-boy. He has surpassed himself today by giving our Scots Dumpy - Morag Pin-Up Chick - a broken toe. The vet says there's not a lot we can do but keep an eye on her.

Jules
                        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

wish you the best of luck with her,fingers crossed this end...

Comment

Just a thought - if you're not planning on eating him why not take him to the vet to be put down? Yes it'll cost, but if it'll cause you less distress.. ? Or perhaps the vet could advise/do it?

If/when I have to do it, I think I'm going to go the broomstick method (so I know I've done it correctly).. originally I'd planned on eating one of our birds, but now I don't think I could - so appreciate how you feel.

Comment

Jules- if you're not planning on eating him- then why don't you find a local farmer who will take him from you solely for eating.
                              Yup - it's difficult to rehome a cockerel, but I'd be surprised if a farmer wouldn't just take him off your hands if he knew you gave the OK to eat him. After all- once he's dead it really would be a waste of all that lovely meat.
                              Why not contact your local farm supplies shop and explain your situation I'd be surprised if even they didn't want free meat. They may even exchange something for him.
                              Much less stressful for you...and brownie points too.
                              You never know- they may even be tempted to replace one of their own cockerels by him once they've seen how beautiful he looks. Peeps often need new blood in their stock.
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Jules it's a shame you don't live near me I would have done it for you. Is there anyone on here who lives nearby

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X